• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ruffed Grouse, in Eden Prairie, MN?

R. Miller

Okay, a friend of mine swears on everything he has he saw a grouse glide arcoss the road and into the woods, where he saw it land and strut off today...in Eden Prairie, a west metro suburb on Minneapolis. He's an avid outdoorsman and hunter and is good at IDing birds...is this possible? Man, I live about 2 miles from the sighting and would be really excited if it's true...I know they're down in SE MN and I know we even used to bag a few at Carlos Avery WMA north of the city...but just west of the metro? What does everyone think?

I believe it very well could have been a grouse but could it also have been a hen pheasant that has lost her tail feathers. I have seen game farm pheasants that will have very little to none for tail feathers. I am not sure if the other birds peck them off or why that is but they do look a little strange when they fly.

It was basically in the woodlands between Lone lake park and Bryant lake park. I know the area very well, have seen pheasants and turkeys there...just never ever really thought grouse.

My friend hunts pheasants and grouse and swears it wasn't a hen pheasant. I said he could definitely see the fan tail as well.

Ok, this is really cool. I may have to take a walk in the woods tonight.