• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Obedience School?

hanson

Twin Cities... NW Metro (I'm in New Hope)... any recommendations??

Try searching on the internet and everyone and their grandma runs an obedience school.

Guess what I'm looking for is a social environment where I can work on obedience, around other dogs and other people. Other people handling the dog as well.

I took my dog through TCOTC in Minneapolis. It was my first time training a dog so it was more about me learning the ropes.

It was a clicker/reward method. I went through the 9 week course and learned their technique which I then adapted as needed to work with my dog.

The treats or praise worked well for some behavior but other behavior needed a firmer touch.

Overall I'd give it decent marks, its run by volunteers so everyone there is very passionate about what they do but some instructors are better then others.

Chris,

C&E Dog Training is right near you (42nd Ave and Quebec). They've been around since 1985. We've been training there for over a year and have been really happy. Plus, their prices are very reasonable. A quick Google search will point you in their direction.

Their Puppy Obedience class is a good start, and you can work your way up from there.

Drop me a line if you have any specific questions.

This might be a ways for you but A1 up in Brooklyn Park. They use the reward or praise method. I've put a number of pups(not all mine) thru that school.

As Ralph says Puppy school is a great place to start. I can tell the difference in a pup that was socialized with other pups and distractions at puppy school and one that was not. I can teach the things that they teach at A1 for pups, but I can't create the organized distractions

I did the puppy class and level 1 at TCOTC and I found that my pup actually performed better in class then at home after he got over the initial distractions. The first week or two were tough but after that he was pretty locked in at class.

If you pup is under 12 weeks I think you can enroll him into Puppy Class at TCOTC which is 4 weeks and basically helps teach you and the pup the basics of how the clicker/treat technique work. The class includes a socialization time which is nice. The instructors monitor the pups and explain good play and bad play. By the end of that 4 week class our pup had sit down pretty well and we on his way with the down command. We started him at 9 weeks.

If he's a little older then that you can do the Tweeners class which is the same type of deal as the puppy class but the dogs are just a little older and bigger.

Once you get to level one there really isn't any play time built into the class but the dog starts to learn to listen to you when there are other dogs around to distract him.

I know there are a lot of good trainers around so you should be able to find one you like. If you don't get a recommendation first I'd probably stop by for a visit first just to check them out. I know TCOTC will let you come in and watch any of the training sessions to see if its what you are looking for. I'd probably do that if you really want to see what you're paying for.

I had talked with C&E last night and they have a 9 week class for puppies over 5 months who haven't had any formal training yet starting soon. So I'm going to be taking him there in a few weeks.

Morgan is 4-1/2 months old now.

I had talked with C&E last night and they have a 9 week class for puppies over 5 months who haven't had any formal training yet starting soon. So I'm going to be taking him there in a few weeks.

Sounds good! Connie is our favorite. She loves Floyd, and he loves her, too.

If you're doing the Tuesday night class, I'll see you there. We've got class at 8:30 on Tuesdays and usually get there before beginning obedience is wrapping up.