• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Equipment for Kids

bonefish

My 8 year old son really wants to get into Archery and I'm open to some advice. He got his first taste at a cub scout camp this summer where he got to shoot a Genesis with a whisker biscut. He loved it. We were at teh range for every free time they had that weekend. I guess started like most guys my age (40) on a recuve and got my first compound when they became more popular in the 80's. Should he still learn the basics on a recurve (and I must admit I like their price much better), or should we look at compounds. If a compound, is the Genesis really worth $100- $150 more than some of the other kids models by bear and PSE?

the genesis is a great bow, built to last, used in the schools etc.. It is also easily adjustable. I don't know anything about the other ones, but I know that you will not be sorry you bought the Genesis. You could also probably find a lightly used genesis pretty cheaply. Also if you have more than one kid, you can pass it down.

I would go right to compound.

Genesis, Whisper Creek, and now BowTech have youth bows. My son started out at 4yo with the a red fiberglass bow at the local FF and some arrows. With your son at his age now I think he should be big enough for a Genesis. There ability to instinctly aim is unbelievable so don't get to fancy with the equipement and start with the basics of a target not "critters" around the yard.

Also something that most schools or familys don't do for there kids is cut the arrows to the correct length to there draw because most archers at that age usually are shooting standard lenghts (to long) and there distance and accrucy with be hinderd. So find his draw lenght and have the arrows cut to his length. Good luck and watch him fall in love this great sport that he will take with him the rest of his life!!!

mr

I set my 11 year daughter up with a Darton Ranger 3 this past June. The poundage range on this bow is 15 to 45 pounds. There's a wide range for different draw lengths too, not sure off hand, but will definitely fit a young shooter for a long time....well into their teens. The package deal on this bow which includes everything (sight, hard case, 6 arrows, release, armguard) is around $450.

If your son is just wanting to target shoot a recurve or the Genesis bow would be the way to go.

Which ever route you go, you're doin a great thing by getting your kid into archery. It's a great confidence builder in kids, especially those who might not be athletically gifted for sports.

Brian