• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barn Owl spotted

R. Miller

I had a barn owl get right up in front of me in the grass of a wildlife management area in SW MN this past weekend. Started doing so quick research and was amazed at just how few are left in the state.

Has anyone else had any experience or spotted any barn owls in recent years?

It's been almost 30 years since I saw a barn owl, and that was in SW Wisconsin near LaCrosse. Great find, MM! Definitely get ahold of the closest Audubon Society chapter or the Minnesota Ornithologists Union to report the sighting so they can confirm it if possible.

That kind of sighting data of uncommon/rare species is vital for ornithologists to expand their knowledge.

You can find the MOU here.

That would be a significant ornithilogical event for this state.

Please go to moumn.org and post your sighting. I'm sure several people would attempt to check it out and refind this great discovery! Way to go and congrats!

Thanks so much for the info, guys. I knew it was a significant sighting because after so many hours afield, this was my first sighting. It actually jumped up right in front of me in some short grass while I was out walking a wildlife management area. It landed three separate times within 75 yards of me as if it didn't want to leave the area. I have the name of the WMA just south of Slayton if anyone is interested. Definitely an awesome experience.