• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need information on replacing a clutch on a 97 vmax sx.

Dooley87

I am looking into purchasing a 1997 yamaha vmax sx with 2700 miles for $800, only problem is the clutch is blown, Im not familiar with clutch work on snowmobiles but I am mechanicaly inclined. How dificult would one be to replace? also I can only find new comets online for more than I want to spemd. does anybody know of a place i could purchase a used or rebuilt clutch? Thank you

Clutches are spendy, you're going to have to spend some coin to get a replacement. Start calling up Yamaha dealers and see if they have one lying around in the back room can pick up. Unless you really know what you're doing with clutch tuning you want to put a stock Yamaha clutch for that sled back on it. There are a a lot of different tapers on the shaft so just because it might look the same doesn't mean it is, add in different springs and weights and there are literally thousands of combinations. I assume you're talking about the primary clutch. You'll need a clutch puller for that sled which will be about $50 as well.

Replacement is not too hard. Life will be easier with the removal tool. You may want to check the secondary as well. Look for broken pieces, cracks, etc. There are tons of used out there...search Totally Yamaha forums, salvage yards(google used snowmobile parts)/online auctions, etc.