• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Best Guess Is Hermit

Birdsong

This little guy has been hanging around the yard for several days now. Hermit thrush, I think. Today the sun peeked out, and he decided to pose.

4042802687_f04c62d880_o.jpg

Overcropped a little, so not as sharp as it should be, but here he is from the front.

4042802561_b361db0a0d.jpg

Threw in the brown creeper from two days ago, but it was an awfully gray day.

4043548408_54be3d9a63_o.jpg

4043548194_cd89e46252.jpg

Hermit Thrush would be my guess too. All the ones in my guide are very similar, but I think this is the closest. I had one hanging around in my yard too, a couple days ago. He was always on the ground though, so I didn't get a shot.

The second one looks plenty sharp to me though. Nice shot, as is the second creeper.

How lucky are you to have a Hermit Thrush in your backyard! Sweet shots, I would definately id this as a Hermit Thrush.

I enjoy that second brown creeper image as well, they have been a nemesis for me, hard to get them when they are not moving quickly, though I've read that sometimes they will freeze up, the only ones I've come across are speedy and constantly on the move.

Its a hermit thrush based on the heavy spots on breast but most of all the rufous tail is the main ID that seperates it from Swainson and Grey-cheeked Thrush plus Veery. Also the next time you see this bird watch the way it slowly pumps its tail and the low "chuck" call.

Love all your photos too!

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I did get to hear his call a fair bit. He also held his wings down in the position of photo one quite a bit. He is gone for this season, but will be back I'm sure. I usually get a variety of the thrushes passing through. They don't usually stay as long as this one did. Thanks all for your comments.