• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for BobO

Bob, what basemap do you have for your handheld GPS? I remember when we fished the Horseshoe Chain that your basemap was really accurate. I need to get a better basemap for my Garmin, just wondering what you had? Or anyone else that has one. Thanks ScottS

I was thinking about the Fishing Hotspots maps. I may order the CD. Garmin says that they are just what I am looking for. I just wanted to check what you had first. Thanks ScottS

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Scxott,
you may want to wait until Lakemaster gets hooked up with Navionics (that's what Hotspots has done). Once that happens you're looking at even better detail.

Should occur within the next 30 days or so.

My handheld GPS is a Lowrance GlobalMap 100. The basemap is not all that detailed (about 1 mile?), but I have the IMS MapCreate CD that allows me to download more detail for the US (.1 miles). I can choose what sections I want, and the amount of detail. For example, if I exclude large cities or turn off city streets, then I can download at least half of the state of Mn. For large lakes such as Mille Lacs it shows the names of bays, points, islands, etc. Newer models have quite a bit more memory than my 2 mb.

I just purchased a HotSpots map of the NW quandrant of Lk of the Woods and it shows incredible detail down to .1 mile, including rock hazards, navigation buoys and contour lines.

My main fishing partner has a newer model GPS (I can't remember if its Magellan or Garmin) and his base map is not well synchronized with the GPS signal. For example, if we are 100 yds off shore on Mille Lacs, his unit often shows us to be up on the highway. I had a similar problem where a waypoint for a dock on Kabetogama shifted about 100 ft onto the shore for part of one day (out of a 1 week stay).

Here is a link for a review of various low-cost GPS mapping units: http://joe.mehaffey.com/ot-20.htm

Thanks for the heads-up Rick. I will check into that. I would rather stick with Lakemaster, their products are pretty solid and their customer service is excellent.ScottS