• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Winter Storage

Surface Tension

I've seen questions about storing the boat outdoors during winter. Here is what I do.

Fuel has been treated, run through engine, and engine fogged. Bearing Buddies checked and greased.

Battery in the bow taken out. I leave the battery stern in till I get the boat on site then trim the outboard down and remove. Livewell and plumbing drained. I relax the tie downs and wench strap. Mothballs in all storage compartments, bilge area, and under the engine cover.

boatstorage.jpg

Note the height and the ridge pole is supported in the center. Ropes hold the pole in place but more important, serve to keep the tarp from sagging.

Boattarped.jpg

$9 10x20 tarp, which is on its 3rd winter and some salvaged rope to fasten it all down. Water runs off with zero pooling and snow can be brushed off although I never do that. I leave a small opening at the bow and stern so that air can circulate though. Trailer tires are sitting on 2x10s. I'll stick an old piece of plywood against the tires to keep the sun off. The foot of the tongue jack is on a piece of plywood just in case it sinks in the ground, I might be needing the boat before the frost goes out.

Frank, Great How-to, My only question is, do you do anything to lift the weight off the trailer springs while it sits idle? My trailer has the torsion axle and over the 10 years I've owned it I have seen a noticeable decrease in the tire to fender spacing. I DO know that springs do lose their arc if excessive weight's allowed to sit on them too long. Have you noticed the same?? Phred52