• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping Water Out of Hatches

SkunkedAgain

I got a new boat this year (Alumacraft Navigator) that has storage compartments/hatches. I keep the usual stuff in there like ropes, anchors, 1st aid kit, etc. I've noticed that while towing in the rain or just the boat on the water during a rain storm, I get excessive moisture in the storage compartments. It seems like I need to open all of the hatches once I get home and pull out all of the ropes/etc to let everything dry.

Is there a way to keep these compartments more dry or is it just a part of owning such a boat?

Only thing I could think of is to lay some sticky backed felt or something around the edges and maybe bottom of the hatch where the cover fits in. This will help tighten them up.

Some boats storage compartments just arent as tight as others.

Alumacrafts don't seal their hatches, so no matter what you do water will land on the deck and make its way into the compartment. Instead of trying to prevent water from entering you must prevent the water from getting to the things you store inside. Use Rubbermaid type containers with lids and store everything in those.