• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog First Aid

APCfishing

My 2yr old black lab hunts pretty hard and at times can be pretty clumsy. This year Ive decided to bring a first aid kit with me just incase he has a run in with a barbed wire fence.

Just wondering what you guys bring along out in the field with you?

I picked up one of the dog first aid kits from GM. Has pretty much everything you need in it. I just throw the case in my hunting bag and I am good to go!!! Its the simplest, most convenient way to do it in my opinion.

Just carry lots of water! Clumsiness can be poor hydration. Don't make the dogs rely on nasty pond water. Clean water hydrates and can clean small wounds. Most anything else can be handled back at the truck.

My dog had a an up close and personal meeting with barbed wire on the very first day of his very first hunt. He got hung up pretty good and as I was trying to get him loose, he was biting me pretty good. Cant' blame him for that...my hands were where the pain was. He ended with with a couple of gashes, one on each rear leg.

I had super glue for small cuts but these were too big. I ended up using bandages and a LOT of vet wrap. Legs are mighty hard to wrap up effectively because of the taper. I wish I had brought more vet wrap to wrap around his body to hold up the bandage around his leg.

Based on that, I'd suggest bringing lots of vet wrap (which is pretty cheap at at Fleet Farm...we use it for people wrap too), bandages, antibiotic, superglue, and perhaps most importantly, the address and phone number of a nearby vet, and know how to get there. The minutes you save by having that information at hand could be what saves your dog.

I ended up taking my dog in the next morning, got him sewed up with 11 stitches and had him out hunting that afternoon.

I bought a bunch of the coband or vet wrap from an online pet supply. I think I bought a dozen rolls for the price of what 4 or 5 would cost me in a store because they are so much cheaper going this route. My thought is if you would carry a kit for yourself, it should be able to handle the dog too. i bought a small pouch type kit at a store that begins with a d, and it has been the best kit. i added a few things that i wanted in it and it does not take up much space. good luck.

I bought a bunch of the coband or vet wrap from an online pet supply. I think I bought a dozen rolls for the price of what 4 or 5 would cost me in a store because they are so much cheaper going this route.

I bought my first couple of rolls online but Fleet Farm carries them for under $2 a roll, and they're often on sale.