• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Staying warm

GFNER

How do you guys keep your feet and knees warm all day during cold weather?

No matter what I did before the suit I got cold.

The last two years for ice fishing I've worn the Cabelas Inferno 2000 grain Pac boots with a base sock and wool sock. My feet can sit in slush all day and never get cold. They are just a little bit big also so I have plenty of room for my toes to move around.

I also alternate between the UA Cold Gear and some Military long johns I picked up at the ice fishing show last year. The military ones are a little heavier but are also warmer.

Top it all off with the Arctic Armor and I'm nice and toasty warm all winter.

The only problem I ever have is keeping my hands warm while holding an ice cold shotgun and having my fingers readily accessible. Everything is fine until my gloves get wet. Then its cold fingers for me.

heated stands? might as well sit in your kitchen over a bait pile...

as far as staying warm, i personally dislike Cold Gear - get really clammy in it. Maybe if there's a base wicking layer under it, but I wouldn't use it next to your skin. Wore it playing football in cold weather and it was great, but i didnt like it for deer hunting the last 2 years

When wearing it for all day, my skin would get super itchy and dry, I think cause I hardly sweat at all it sucked the moisture out of my skin or something. If wearing for a few hours or half days, it works well.

I know this talk is mostly about suits to wear, but I have to say one of my best investments for staying warm was a neck gaiter. They're relatively cheap (maybe $20) and keep the wind off your neck and face, plus when you breath out it will force your warm breath to go up on your face which warms that up (granted this might cause fog problems for people who were glasses...) Even though their small, I still feel I keep warmer with a gaiter than I do when I wear a full face/ski mask.

agree neck gater is cheap and key, but I also rock UACG, fleece, wool, hand chem warmers, neoprane socks over wicking liner and under wool with LC Iceman boot, a wool hat and a hood can be a difference maker in wind but hard for bowhunting

King of Mountain wool bibs incredibly warm but spendy, columbia wool cheap and warm...layer up once you reach stand or nothing will keep you warm once your sweat cools off but UA is close

I cannot keep hands warm holding a bow and function with a release but keep hands in pocket with chems and get a how holder...or make like Madonna and put hand between your legs

The Heater Body Suit is highlty recommended and I have never seen a bad review, but I think it seems bulky and a little inconvenient. But when it comes to staying warm, those are traits I could put up with - if you're cold, you're out of the stand, so bulk is managable.

That said, lately I have become very curious about the Sitka Dutch Oven. Its a heated vest made to be worn under an outer shell. In most cases, I am very skeptical about a heated anything (i.e. heated socks), but if Sitka is making it, I am guessing it is probably a nice piece of gear. I hoper to start seeing some real hunters reviews as time goes on as this is a new product.

heated stands? might as well sit in your kitchen over a bait pile...

as far as staying warm, i personally dislike Cold Gear - get really clammy in it. Maybe if there's a base wicking layer under it, but I wouldn't use it next to your skin. Wore it playing football in cold weather and it was great, but i didnt like it for deer hunting the last 2 years

I thought about the same thing when I was younger sitting in bad weather in a tree.

Now I enjoy the hunt in my box stand and in the warmer temps. Much easier to sit all day to waylay that bruiser buck.

The window from the living room would work as we have many deer in the front yard.

I get plenty of tree stand action during archery season.

Harvey, I am thinking of heading that way next year. I have plenty of sets of quality long underwear and layers (along with my boot blankets) that keep me toasty enough myself during late season. But as my son will be six next year and I'm looking to take him hunting more, I'm thinking a good off season project will be an enclosed blind. I'm thinking of going six by six and putting it about 10 feet high in the thick woods we own. Any recommendations on how to build one and style of stand. I have what I think is a good idea - a basic box on stilts with a gun and bow window on each side, but that's about it. I bought some of those Elevator brackets years ago so I'm thinking of using them with treated 4x4s for legs.