• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The big switch!

Froggy4371

Ok so I was out on sunday shooting and ended up cracking up 4 of my last 8 aluminun arrows so I was down to 4 arrows for hunting/shooting. So I went to GM last night and bought my first Carbon arrows. The guy there was really helpful. We got them all set up NOW I have to go back to the drawing board and sight it in. I had to adjust my rest (fork style) and we did paper shoot it. But what can I expect to be different shooting carbons. Is there anything I need to worry about shooting Carbon vs Aluminun. I know they will be faster, will they shoot flatter? I just do not know. I am totally in the blind about these. My old arrows (3 years old) worked for me but I figured it was time to switch.

Thanks for any Info.

Froggy

Sounds like you need to switch to a five spot target...you'll wreck the carbons just as easy as aluminums if you're shooting dime size groups....

as for speed...if they are lighter than you're aluminums they should be faster and faster = flatter trajectory but the only way to find out is to shoot them without moving your sight pins and see....

if they fly faster, yes they will be flatter. i was surprised at how many archers still shoot aluminum arrows. i have 7 guys i know that will only shoot them. and not just aluminum arrows, but i mean the big fatty ones!! bigger the better i guess is their philosophy.

Well I found out how much faster they fly last night. I sighted in the bow with the new arrows and my 20 yard pin was now good at 35 so I did have to adjust for a shorter pin as the arrow was 4 inches high at 15 yards. So now I have 1 pin for 0-25 yards and one pin out to 40. I have never like shooting past 40 so that is my imposed limit. May be kind of dumb but that is me!

Thanks guys for the thoughts.

Froggy

I got the Beman ones mostly cause my buddy loves his. I am finally going to make it our this weekend if the rain stops. I have three nice bucks hanging around and I have not shot a deer with the bow in 4 years. I am going to go back to GM tonight just to shoot some more and get some more practice in with them. I should have bought them months ago so I could shoot them all summer. But hind sight is 20/20.

Good luck to all and thanks,

Froggy

carbons can crack or splinter when then hit a hard object, so it is important to check arrows for damage.

They will shoot flatter and faster, but this is dependent on the weight of the arrows compared to your old ones

The strength of carbon arrows depends on their quality. The cheaper ones that you buy for $20/half dozen will be more prone to cracking. However my buddies and I all shoot Carbon Xpress Maximas and I've seen an arrow shot at a cinder block with no damage to the shaft. Popped out the insert and flattened the field point but no damage to the shaft. Carbon arrows also won't bend and kink like aluminums so they're much more durable.