• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-Tech feedback?

kdawg

Hey folks, I'm going to buy a new rig this winter/spring as I sold my 04 Alumacraft Trophy this fall. I'm certain about the boat I'm going to buy, but I'm wondering about the motor. I've read quite a bit about the E-Tech and am leaning towards it. One question is: How's the noise level compared to a 4 stroke? I had a 140 Johnson before and loved it. From what I've read, the E-Tech (or other newer 2 strokes) have more torque for hole-shot and might give you a slight edge in top end speed as well. Any feedback from those in-the-know would be appreciated. Thanks.

For the most part I think they are pretty good engines. I know quite a few people who have them and its a love hate relationship. I know a few guys who have had zero problems and i know guys who have gotten complete rebuilds. They definately are very quiet and compare to the quieteness of 4 strokes. I myself prefer the Mercury Optimax, but if you want a quiet engine this isnt the right choice. What kind of boat do you have in mind and how do you want it to perform?

What kind of boat do you have in mind and how do you want it to perform?
I'm buying a alumacraft tournament sport, probably the 18 foot model. I would be maxing-out the motor, which I beieve is at 175hp. The reason I was looking into a 2 stroke, after owning and loving the Johnson 4stoke, was for the extra torque and top speed. Quietness isn't my top priority, I just don't want anything that is annoyingly loud if I troll with it. Also, I'm curious why you'd choose the Mercury?

Just personal preference and a few good reasons. I bass fish and wanted something with good holeshot which pointed me in the direction of going 2 stroke. I just think the 4 strokes have alot of improving to do yet especially in this dept. The optimax is a proven motor that gives a great warrany (5yrs), great power (great holeshot, torque, mid/top end), and will be better on gas than any motor on the market. I do have a bass boat and thats what I use it for. I have always heard good things about the optimax and have gotten mixed opinions about the e-tec.

If you want a 175 you should look into the 175 Pro XS. That boat will scream with it. I personally think that the optimax is the best bang for the buck. It will outperform the e-tec in a number of categories and save you money as well.

If you really liked your 140 Johnson 4 stroke then look at the Suzuki 175 4 stroke. Your Johnson 140 was actually a Suzuki with white paint and they are a heck of a motor. The Suzuki 175 is a great motor and you would not be disappointed with it.

I've got a buddy with a 150 etec and he absolutly loves it but as others have said it is a love it or hate it with the etec.

I have a 115 E-Tec and have run it for 2 years now without a single problem. It's the best decision I ever made. You can carry on a conversation at wide open, uses next to nothing for fuel compared to my old 90 horse motor. I almost pulled the trigger on a Yamaha and know I made the right decision.

I have a 150 e-tec on a fairly big boat 2095DCX Yar Craft

And that 150 shoots that boat out of the water its a wheel boat

but still i never lose site in front of me plans out right now

i think its maybe a little louder that yamies and honda but i can still carry on a conversation wide open and trolling it purrs some will say oil is spendy and it is but you dont use much so i think it balances out

i got a 6 yr warrenty on mine not sure they still offer that

but i think its good motor 2nd yr on it

i had a smaller 60 before this one on a tiller boat i liked that to

175hp on that 18ft tin boat you gonna go fasttttttttttt

ya i'm not sure how i got such along warrenty

but it was a good deal the whole package was a good i think i can still get real close to what i paid for mine

dont think you can get what i have for less than 45-50k now

Just looked, and evinrude is offering an additional 2 years (5 total) till the end of the year.

Evinrude and Merc. have the same promotion right now with the warranties. I dont think yamaha is doing this.

Yamaha 4 strokes have a 3 year warranty and they are giving and add'l 3 years at no cost. Foe a total of a 6 year warranty at no cost.

I have had an E-Tec since 2006. I had a very frustrating problem that turned out to be nothing. My dealer did not have much experience and the problem didn't come up on the scanning computer. I think you will like everything about the BRP (except the price).

ya be sure you find a good e-tec tech lol thats important

i had a guy that wasnt the brightest star in the sky

but the e-tec is gooooood i think if you shop you can find a good deal in this economy

try hilmasons in little falls i found they were the cheapest when i bought my 60 tiller and called quite a few places

theres a good tech there to