• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have slugs????

OakdaleFMR

This late in the year I wouldn't worry about it too much. The slugs are just eating the top vegetation, not going to do too much damage to the plant structure underground.

Another 3-4 weeks and the Hostas are going to be dying off anyway.

Next year there are chemicals that you can use, and unless your dog eats the Hostas too, you won't have to worry.

Slugs are attracted to beer. As an alternative to chemicals, a longtime and effective slug killing method is to put stale beer out in shallow bowls. The slugs crawl up into the beerfest and drown. You can also plunge jars or bowls into the ground so the tops are level with the soil and fill them half way with beer. Easier for the slugs to crawl in. I'm a hosta fan big time, and I've used this method successfully for years (learned it from my grandma).

As long as your dog isn't a fan of stale beer you'll be good to go. smilesmile

You can also use grape juice or tea made from yeast, honey and water.

Slugs have been decimating our Hostas for years now and this year I finally decided to battle them. The easiest weapon I found was to use diluted ammonia (about 20% Ammonia to water) and directly spray the slugs when they come out at night. I did this for about 10 days in a row before we got the recent cold weather and I'm hoping this will lessen the population going into next year. When they start coming out in the spring I will begin spraying them nightly again.

Okay so how do you figure the first guy learned the beer trick??? Keg party gone wrong.....LOL - but it works. Hundreds of them this morning. I almost cried wasting beer though... Thanks for the replies. Hoping to knock down their numbers so it will be a smaller number to deal with next spring.

Okay so how do you figure the first guy learned the beer trick??? Keg party gone wrong.....LOL - but it works. Hundreds of them this morning. I almost cried wasting beer though... Thanks for the replies. Hoping to knock down their numbers so it will be a smaller number to deal with next spring.

Have you ever seen the Hostas around Frat houses??? AMAZING!!!!

They don't like Bud Select....Turn brown and die. I bet I have "recycled" 5000 or more of my slug buddies. I am going to cut the hostas down tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I think this site is awesome. I hope everyone has a great weekend.