• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it possible to balance fishing and family?

Hi gals, I am dating a wonderful man who is a professional fisherman. It's great that he's doing what he loves, but I'm concerned with all the time fishing takes up. Will we be able to balance a family? Do any of you have any advice? Are any of you in the same boat???

Hello MattsGal,

So sorry I missed your post. I would of answered much earler, but I've been having computer problems.

I'm not married to a pro fisherman just a wonderful fisherman. My advice for you is to learn all you can about fishing and love the sport. Spend as much time together fishing as you can.

I'm not sure how much time fishing takes up for a professional fisherman, but if your love for each other is strong enough it will all work out.

Good Luck <><Mary><>

Thanks Mary~With all the great advice I've gotten...I know it can work out fine. It may not always be easy especially when he's on the road for long periods of time, but knowing he's doing something he absolutely loves gives me a sense of pride also...it's not often that people love their jobs. I love him dearly and I think in the end it's all about compromise. We both need to give and take a little for the relationship and if a problem does arise...we need to talk about it and work through it.

I don't think there's much of a difference between professional fisherman and sport fisherman...I think once you have the bug...not much is going to stop you. I'm sure your husband is just as crazy about it as Matt is. smile.gif

I do love to fish and I am so happy to be out there with him. I get the best of both worlds! It's great! smile.gif But I know that everyone needs a little alone time every once in a while. He needs that too.

Thank you so much for replying! I appreciate it so much and am feeling stronger about the situation. Thank you! Hope to talk to you again soon!

MattsGal <>><<

My husband and I showed horses together for many years and now we fish together. We do have a differnt relationship than a lot of couples in that neither one of us goes very far without the other. He has only gone out without me twice since we have been married. Once it was a stag and he did not know it when it bought the tickets and could not figure out why I was not getting dressed to go. The other time he went to a horse sale and I could not go. He has done nothing but complain about it since and I was told that he is never going to a sale without me again. I think that is because he can yell at me to get out of bed early and get the horses ready and he could not do it with the guys. grin.gif Personally I have always enjoyed the company of a bunch of guys better than a bunch of women. Talking about recipes and gossiping has never thrilled me much.

Actually, our whole family fishes together. The grandchildren love it as much as we do, but the granddaughter also loves horses so I can see our time on the summer weekends is going to have to be spread out.

So as Mary said. Spend as much time together as you can. Working and Playing together makes for a great marriage - well, at least most of the time. grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

no chance that will ever happen. me and my last girlfriend broke up because i spent to much time in the fish house and she didnt like it out there. o well .............

Hey z440Matt,

Sorry to hear that. Did you ever take her out with you? The whole balancing act is going okay for us so far, granted he hasn't been to too many week long tourneys thus far. There are times he'll take me along and other times he goes alone or with friends. I think the key is communication. Fishing can sometimes feel like competition when it comes to spending time with our guy. We won't think it's such a bad idea if we are invited along. smile.gif We want to be a part of what you guys enjoy. Although, I am finding more and more that I enjoy my time alone when he's off fishing. So again, I think it all depends on how willing you are to work on the balancing act. We(women) may not always understand the importance of fishing to men, but you men may not always understand the importance of...I don't know, shopping or whatever other things we enjoy. It's all about communication and compromise. Thanks though for your words. I know it may not work for everyone. Good luck and happy fishing. smile.gif

<MattsGal><<