• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit problem or somethign else???

chberry

I recently had my 1986 70 ho Evinrude out on the lake pulling the kids in the tube. I was running along, and the boat started shaking violently....I didn't hit anything, we were over 50 feet of water! After getting the motor stopped, and getting back to the dock, the motor displayed the following symptoms. The motor will start, and ideas perfectly, when I put it in gear going forward, I have to push hard on the throttle to get it to go forward, and the prop doesn't spin, when I put it in gear in reverse, the prop spins, and the throttle moves easily. I’m guessing I destroyed the forward gear somehow, can anyone confirm this by my description?

Thanks marine man, I saw you are from lisbon, My grandma is from lisbon. I spent many spring and summer days growing up shooting gophers on my great grandmas farm up there. We still own the farm, and a house in town.

Marine_Man - do you happen to know if a lower unit off a 1986 3 cyl 75 hp evinrude would work as a replacement for my 1986 70 HP evinrude? I wuold guess yes, but don't know for sure. Had two different mechanics tell me would be in the 500-600 range to take apart and rebuild my lower unit, so I'm looking at used options to just replace the entire lower unit. I'm not looking to put a lot of money into this boat/motor.

Do I need to be aware of drive shaft splines or anything like that?

chberry, Have you considered a used or reconditioned lower unit? Last spring, I installed a lower unit on my neighbors outboard that was 'used', but had been disassembled, checked over and reassembled with new gaskets. Give a call to Tim's Outboard Service of Hackensack. It cost the neighbor a BUNCH le$$ than rebuilding his old one! Phred52