• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dumb thing I did to the dog this weekend

Scott M

I noticed a little kink in the dog's tail...nothing painful to her, but something that had me and my wife scratching our heads and a little concerned. I promised her nothing happened to the dog and to the best of my knowledge it didn't happen during the youth waterfowl hunt. Then I started thinking about it. My dog got pretty excited after her first or second bird (it was her first hunt) and she was getting into a habit of trying to jump out of the boat when shots were fired. I grabbed her tail to hold her in the boat a couple times. I wonder if I "sprained" her tail or something.

At any rate, I feel bad about it now and won't make the mistake of leaving her unleashed in the boat, at least not as young as she is. She has been behaving perfectly normal, active and happy, wagging the tail, etc.

Has anyone else had this happen with a tail? I'm wondering when it will go back to normal. Hopefully soon. I'm guessing those are some sensitive bones, hopefully she isn't permanently kinked.

I did the exact same thing last year! I felt like the biggest jerk in the world. It was the same sort of deal. She was excited in the duck boat, and I was tried to hold her back... its like I wasn't even thinking. I grabbed her tail almost as a natural reaction, and the next day, her tail was swollen up, and she had trouble lifting it when she went to the bathroom. She just moped around and I could tell it was bothering her. I WAS SICK! I took her to the vet, and they said the only thing they could do was give her meds for the pain, and to let her rest. I'm glad to say, that after a few days she was fine, and she's been fine ever since. Needless to say, I NEVER grab her tail for any reason any more.

Well, it's already looking a little better. She's definitely not pained by it. Both the air and water were really warm this weekend, so I have no doubt that I caused the limp tail syndrome. I'm glad its just cosmetic and nothing painful. Either way I've learned we have a few things to work on and I will have to keep her tied up while in the boat.

I had this on my chessies tail but it was from when she was still in the litter with the mom and the moms toe nails accually cut the tail and almost severed it but the guy that I got her from splinted it if you will and the tail still stayed bent but didnt effect the dog at all