• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removable Satellite Idea

JSK76

I think some thief's might see a satellite dish mounted on a fish house and think you might have left the TV and receiver for them to come and steal, so I was looking at getting a Vuqube So I could remove it when I'm not around until I saw the price of them. Now I'm thinking, I could mount the regular round dish with the Dish Network wall mounting arm, to a Minn Kota quick release trolling motor bracket on the front side of my fish house. Once I was locked in to the satellite do you think I could remove it when I leave, and next time I come back out slide it back in and not mess with pointing the dish all over again? There is just a tiny bit of slop in the bracket I'm concerned about.

I have one mounted to the side of my house right by the door. Used the same mount that they use on the roof. I use a compass to get me close and then use the onscreen signal strength to do the rest. They are pretty forgiving when it comes to the signal strength. You only need like 40% and it will be fine. Just make sure you bracket is level. However you need to know a little about the satellites in the sky. Direct and Dish's 110 sat's are right by each other in the sky so you might pick up one but it will show up on your on screen display that its the wrong sat. all you will have to do is move it just a little bit to pick up the right one. I would say mount it and move your house around your home and get a little experience in adjusting it before you go in the lake. The more times you do it the faster you will be. Takes me about 1min now that I have done it over 100times. I keep the mount on the fish house all the time and just remove the dish itself. However I did that for about the first half the season then I forgot to take it off and did get a little worried that someone might break into it because of the dish but nothing happened so after that I just left it on the house for the rest of the season and never had a problem. I think a lot of people are going to be installing dish's on their fish house this season and I'm sure this will get brought up a lot so I will try and get some pics up shortly.

Once you have your skew and elevation set for your dish. Leave it at that setting for the whole state. It will not affect your signal at all. For Dish Network and a Dish500, set the elevation to 33-34 and skew at 110 and point the dish at 202. With these settings and a level mast, all you need to do is move the dish left or right. If you are picking up ErecTv's satellites, you need to move the dish more to the right (if standing behind). The Minnkota bracket should work, but you could also just get a tripod and keep that close to the house.