• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

killswitch issues

Grant

can anyone describe the process for removing the twist throttle/killswitch assembly on a 1989 Johnson 15hp? mine just quit on me last week, and from the way it just stopped firing and died it's an electrical issue; the only thing I haven't been able to isolate is the killswitch.

I'm looking for a description of the process, or perhaps a reference to some online documentation, whatever is available.

thanks!

Grant

From the drawing it looks like the kill switch closes a circuit to ground (terminal 12) to kill the motor. Try disconnecting that wire and see if it runs. That will disable the kill switch without taking everything apart.

awesome indeed! that'l help a bunch.

regarding this illustration- is the source of this publicly available, or is it a pay-to-play resource? I'm thinking that it could be valuable down the road, not only to me but others with a similar engine (and I know there are a lot of them around) if it's available.

thanks again for the info/illustration/comment!

Grant

Definitly disconnect the wire first and try it. If you have never taken one apart, it can be quite a jig saw puzzle to put together.

Power packs will also fail suddenly giving you the impression that a switch just "flipped" and the motor died.