• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trimming oak trees

Nathansdad

You can trim DEAD branches off of your oaks anytime of the year.

Only if you plan on leaving stubs all over your tree.

In order to make a proper pruning cut you should prune to the branch collar to promote proper healing of the wound. Leaving stubs is unsightly and prolongs the healing period. Proper cuts heal faster and seal off sooner.

White oaks are somewhat safer to prune earlier, but once again, you're just best to wait until after freezing weather.

Go with Powerstroke, he is correct. Your best to wait until mid to late October. Don't get suckered into using dumby paint, I mean that black spray paint some say will seal the wound. Spray black paint on your broken arm, it will have the same affect on your tree.

I took some classes early on at the U but never finished it. I worked for a national tree company for 5yrs doing urban work in the metro. I pruned, did removals, spraying and fertilizing, diagnosing problems etc.

When I said freezing weather I mean after a frost.