• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hope all you ladies are heading out this weekend to spend Mothers Day fishing. Is there any better way to spend it? Wish you all a safe and happy Mothers Day and Opener - Catch Some BIG Ones! I expect stories on Monday!

------------------
Phyl

Opener in the Bemidji area was great. Three of us (all women) went out on Lake Irving and caught two limits 2 northerns and four more walleys. We worked the area in front of the water/sewage processing plant and only caught one walley. Then we moved to the area where the Miss comes in and it got really hot at around noon. Got al the rest of our fish by 2:00 p.m. The northerns were caught between the river exit to L. Bemidji and the entrance of the Miss to Irving as we worked our way towards it. Used jig and minnows and then jigs and fatheads. Bites were light and just off the bottom at around 6-7 ft. Going back there in a couple of hours since it is very overcast. Good Luck!

It was cold wet and windy so needless to say on Saturday I didn't even wet my line. Still pretty chilly today but I braved it on the dock for awhile and not even one tiny bite, but there is the whole summer to make up for it. How about you Phyl did you get out? I heard it was nicer up in the Northren part of Minnesota. <><Mary><>

Well Mary looks like the girls from up North have us both beat and get the Fishermans.com girls award for this weekend! It was cold and wet here on Sat. and he had to work so we did not go. But finally got his anti-fishing butt out the door so we were at the lake at 11:30 and fished until 5:30 today. But same as you - not even a bite! We went to Big Cormorant which is usually hard to fish anyway but wanted to get the boat out and check it out also and it is a good lake for that. The good thing was we didn't even have one fight loading and unloading the boat - that is a first! Oh well, warmer weather is on the way and my daughter wants to leave the husbands and go next weekend and she is my favorite person to fish with. But on a good note we had a new filly when we got home! She had been run through the fence by another mare in the pasture and was sleeping in the driveway. My husband was looking at the mare in the pasture and almost ran over her! She was only about an hour old but boy did we have fun getting her in the barn! So all in all it was a good day sun was shining and the loons were out and any day (when it is not cold and rainy) on the lake is better than anything.

------------------
Phyl

Phyl, Sounds like you had a good day. Nice Mothers Day present waiting for you on your drive way. Oh I forgot well I was standing on the dock fishing the DNR pulled up and checked me for my fishing lisence. Found out from him nobody else was catching anything either. Thats the one nice thing about them checking for lisence you can find out if and where the fish are being caught at. <><Mary><>

WELCOME white_rat1900,

Its nice to see more woman on this forum. I also love to fish. This year I haven't been out as much, but I hope that is about to change. Whats your favorite fish to fish for?

<><Mary><>

Opener weekend I did stay at home. I did however go out today or Sat to Nest lake in Kandoya (sorry about the spelling) county. When I fish it is not so much what for, but to catch. I pratice alot of catch and release, however I do like Sunfish or crappies and Walleyes. I have two pools, one for bigger fish and one for panfish, and when we get to a spot I play with one pole and it I do not get anything, I switch. To me, panfish are exciting as a bass, nothern or walleye. I just like to fish. On Sat I cauhght a nice walleye and a panfish close there after and then I caught nothing. I did not mind though because it felt so great to be on lake even though it was cold. Fishing to me is more that what ya get, it is an experience.

Hi white_rat1900
Don't worry about the spelling - I think with a lot of us our fingers go faster than our brains. Sometimes I am not even sure the brain is working! I am like you - I just like to fish. A nice Sunny is just as good as a Walleye and tastes awful good. I got up early this morning to go fishing but it was so cold I crawled back in bed. We are going to head over to Lida now - which we have never fished before - and try our luck. The sun is shining and no wind so it will be a good day no matter what!

------------------
Phyl

We went to the lake this is weekend. I thought for sure I'd get out there and do lots of fishing the weather forcast sounded good. I didn't even wet a line! Even though the sun was out there was this bone chilling wind and I was just freezing. Hubby went out though big burly man that he is. He caught 3 Northren on Sat and Sunday he caught one Walley one Bass and one Crappie. Nothing was big enough to keep but he was happy that he caught something on both days. I don't know but it sure feels like this spring has been colder then years before I just get chilled to the bone. I hope its not an age thing. I'm getting older so I'm getting colder? I'm only 46 for crying out loud. What do you Lady's think about this cold spring is it just me. <><Mary><>

I hope some if not all you ladies will be out this weekend for the "real opener". I will and will report on the catch next week.

My weekend was not very good to say the least. We started out on Sunday for Lida, got there and went to take the motor down and the key had been left on all week - and not by me - so we head back for home. Charge up the battery and leave again at 3:30. Did not know how shallow Lida is in places and full of rocks and weeds. Not good for our boat - it was kind of scary. Finally fished for a couple of hours with no bites - went to start engine and it would not even fire. Of course there is no one on that end of the lake but us and we are way across the lake from the access. So my husband walks down the beach and found a very nice man that was willing to pull the boat across the lake for us. Took it to the guy to check it out and he is going to look at it and said no promises to have it ready for this weekend! Three day weekend and no boat will not be pretty. I was going to purchase a Happy Troller but after this I am going to be looking for a trolling motor because at least we would have had another motor to get us home. Besides that it was windy and cold. I am getting real tired of fishing in snowpants!

------------------
Phyl

Phyl, Yes get a trolling moter that way you always have a back up incase the main moter doesn't work or you run out of gas. Make sure your battery is always charged. Ours runs off a seperate battery then the rest of the boat. That was really to bad and no fish on top of it was even worse. I hope you get it fixed by the weekend. We are spending the weekend getting our acerage ready to sell and meeting with a realitor, but on Tuesday we are going to the Lake for 5 days. On the following Sat we are fishing in a tournament my husbands work place puts on thats always a lot of fun. I'm praying for warmer weather. The weather man keeps saying it is going to get warmer, but I've yet to see it. Good Luck with your boat. <><Mary><>

So the first big weekend is here and I will probably not get much fishing done... I had knee surgery last week and will be unable to walk without crutches for at least 7 weeks!!! YUK. However... us northern gals are still gonna try for the saturday bass opener.. my fishing mates have promised to put my wheelchair in my boat and roll me in!! They think I should get in the boat before they launch it hehehe let's see if that works. I can't believe that I'm missing the best walleye fishing days up here...but my arthritis got the best of me. I wish y'all the best for the weekend.
If I get in the water I shall report on our catch!

Best to all!

Blanca <'>>>><

You go girl! They can always run the wheelchair out to the dock and tip it towards the boat. grin.gif Getting out might be a little harder. But I sure would not miss fishing because of a little thing like crutches. I went all summer with a cast from my toes to my thighs. Just wrapped it in garbage bags. However, the doctor was not real happy when he saw the cast. Good luck!

------------------
Phyl