• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas Smell

Flooringuy

The tank is vented to outside the boat... look near the fill neck... you should see a round knob that looks like the round portion of this:

1670.jpg

That's where it vents. If you don't have one of those, look under the fill cap (if it's a flip top)... sometimes they vent to there as well.

marine_man

I smell it most inside the storage compartments. Even up front.

I checked the fill hose to the tank it looks good. Also checked the line to feed the motor and the vent line going up to the fill lid it looks fine also.

I don't see any wetness around the fittings.

If it's any consilation, my '06 Alumacraft also has a gas smell. I don't know if fumes are escaping from the tank, gaslines, or fuel/water seperator, but it started shortly after I bought the boat. I keep the comparments open when not in use, and I do not keep any tackle in the storage compartments to prevent them from smelling like gas. I've read posts on this subject in the past, sounds like it is a somewhat common occurance. Yes, it's a pain in the backside, but I don't think it's anything to get too concerned about, at least from a safety aspect. If you find out anything, be sure to post back here on the subject. Good luck.

I guess I'd keep tabs on it... if you find that it happens the next time you fill gas, then I'd be tempted to pull the access panel to the gas tank and see if there are any cut lines or lines that rubbed until they rubbed through to make sure there's no issue.

marine_man

i have the same boat with the same problem,,was just thinking about what to do???? i have been keeping the compartment doors open when in the garage. never have smelled it on the water though??? never have seen any leaks either???

I pulled the panels and everything is dry. All the clamps are tight. I see no wetness anywhere.Hoses aren't rubbing on anything. I seemed to smell it more when I took the small panel off by the filler cap.

Heck the boat is only 4 months old maybe I'll take it back to the dealer and see what he says.

I pulled the panels and everything is dry. All the clamps are tight. I see no wetness anywhere.Hoses aren't rubbing on anything. I seemed to smell it more when I took the small panel off by the filler cap.

Heck the boat is only 4 months old maybe I'll take it back to the dealer and see what he says.

Yes, do that. If they don't give you proper service, go right to Alumacraft about it.

I have the same boat, a 2002, with the same issue. I keep a solid air fresher in the bins and doors open when stored.

I would fight for a new boat.

Originally Posted By: Flooringuy

Yes, do that. If they don't give you proper service, go right to Alumacraft about it.

I have the same boat, a 2002, with the same issue. I keep a solid air fresher in the bins and doors open when stored.

I would fight for a new boat.

I doubt you would get a new boat out of the deal. I would just like to have the problem fixed.

So did you ever try and get the issue fixed?

I contacted Alumacraft, waiting on a response.

I bought my 2002 used in 2006. I had it down to the factory (St Peter) and they were not able to find anything. If mine were under warranty, they would have tried a new tank.

I wouldn't wait on this. Now is the time to speak up. They are not as busy right now and could fix you up quicker than if you wait.

BTW: don't expect your dealer to be much help. I would call the factory and ask them how to proceed. My guess is that they will ask you to bring it right to them.

- WIWF

Plastic gas tank?

Regular unleaded or non-ox?

I have the same thing (it's not too bad, no need for concern), I use regular unleaded, different boat, the problem is the regular unleaded (fumes) are/is seeping through the plastic tank. My buddy had the same issue in his Alumacraft when using regular unleaded, he has since switched to non-ox and doesn't get that seeping gas small any more.

I would switch to non-ox if it were available near me but it can be tough to find when you aren't near recreation waters.

I could certainly be WAY OFF, but sure sure made sense to me, plus he's some egotistical engineer, who am I to argue.

RU

I have this issue at times. Usually when I over fill my tank. Its always been that way. Not too strong but it seems like on hot humid days its worse. I also open the storage doors when its stored in the garage. I have a 2004 Lund Explorer

Just got my boat out of the shop. The dealer said he was able to give a turn on the vent hose clamp that goes to the front of the tank. Said everything looked dry. They hosed the bilge down and no signs of fuel.

He thought the smell was coming through the tank itself, just like others on here said.

Told me if I smell it again he would send the boat back to Alumacraft at the end of the fishing season.