• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hoping I Wouldn't Have to Ask for Support...

hanson

I'd be careful about feeding him in the kennel, it very well could stimulate him to move his bowels.

And feeding him outside the crate won't? Maybe I'm missing your point, but when you feed a dog inside the crate, you don't do it when he's locked up in there. You still have to take your dog outside when he needs to go. You're simply relocating the dog food from outside the crate to inside the crate. There's no difference in what his bowels will or won't do. Dog goes in, eats, then comes out.

hanson, to get him to start going in willingly, get something more exciting than his regular food and go for a small treat like a piece of hot dog or cheese. At first put it just outside the crate, then just inside, then keep going back further inside with the treat as much as he's willing. When you get all the way back, then start with one or two pieces of kibble, again starting just outside the crate, then just inside, etc.

Another option is to use one of his favorite toys. Start just outside and work your way in.

This can all be done during the day so you can still you that bedroom when you're gone.

hanson, to get him to start going in willingly, get something more exciting than his regular food and go for a small treat like a piece of hot dog or cheese.

Dude, you can buy tubes of Natural Balance food--looks like a wrapped up summer sausage. The stuff is like crack for our dog. We just slice it up for treats. He'll do about anything for it!

We're slowly making progress on a few fronts.

I took the door off the crate for now so its not a distraction.

Been feeding him in there in the other bedroom and he'll go down there on his own now and right into the crate to eat the food.

Just about an hour ago, I decided to bring the crate into the living room and put his favorite little kennel bed into it just to see what would happen. He sleeps on this little bed quite a bit. Well... was pleasantly surprised... he dove into the kennel like nobody's business. Laid down for a little while as well. Seams to be going in and out freely on his own. I'm hoping he takes initiative tonight to sleep in it for awhile. We'll see.

I've also been leaving him in the house on his own while I'm out cutting the grass, fooling around in the garden, and even a trip to Home Depot. Every time I've come back he's been sleeping so it seams like he handled those half hour to hour alone times alright. No messes either. wink

I'm convinced he's got the potty training thing figured out. Only problem is when I'm distracted and don't see him by the door, he'll go. He'll now even go to the door and when I don't see him, run over to me and try to get my attention to let him out. This should definitely start improving once he can hold it for longer periods of time.

Now I'm just going to slowly start putting some of these pieces together. Hopefully he'll catch on.

Also, no one mentioned - but do some small trips away from home. I mean you leave for five minutes, while he is in the crate; do this over and over. It helps the dog recognize that you will always be coming home.

Also, it may look like the crate is too small having only enough room for your pup to turn around BUT it works! You do not have to do this for a long time, but it works.

I agree with Ken on this one. We put ours in the Kennel all the time when they were growing up even if we were around. I helps them get used to being in it when they know that every time you put them in the Kennel you are not always leaving them alone.

They will adjust to make the kennel a Den more than anything and mine feel safe when in there's now. I leave the doors open even when they are out and they go and lay down in them all the time.