• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need a new Technique

JP Z

Okay,

I hate to admit it, but I need a new trout fishing technique. Of course I will continue to blame the amount of suckers in the stream to my lack of catching any trout but for now I'm open to any solutions.

What would you recommend to torment the brookies.........and the browns. For now size doesn't matter.

And NO, I won't be able to attend Trout Day. So any insider info on what you may be showing will definitely be appreciated wink.gif

Thanks

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Good Point,

I probably should have mentioned what I am currently doing.

Throwing Husky Jerks.
Tossing the occasional #2 Panther Martin or #1 Vibrax
I've also attempted to drift Garden hackle, once I fully succombed to not catching anything.

Haven't fly fished in the stream yet. That was my goal for this year, I do it in lakes but just haven't tried in a river. Mainly because this one is still quite small. That and I'm just starting, or at least I thought I was just starting to understand these fish then this year I'm starting from Square one it seems.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

The number one best presentation in my mind is rapala countdown minnows in black/gold, or shad. I have had a lot of luck with mepps spinners as well. Size also matters. Nothing too big, unless your are fishing big water with big fish.

Whatever it is that you are throwing keep the direction of retrieve in mind as well. I think the countdown raps work so well because they sink and have enough weight to properly retrieve either bringing it upstream or down.

Think about this. When the trout are feeding, they are usually sitting in moving water facing upstream. They are waiting for the food to come down to them. If you position yourself downstream from your spot, cast upstream past your spot, and retrieve downstream, you should bring the bait right passed them. Sometimes, you want to cast diagnolly upstream so you bring it across the water, but still downstream. If that is not working, switch. Cast down stream, and bring it up. In this case, I find slowing my retrieve to work well because the current naturally does most of the work as you retrieve. Also, you may bring your bait past a hog just sitting there waiting to eat.

Being sneaky is very important as well. THE FISH CAN SEE YOU. If you plan to fish a stretch. Don't walk where you are about to cast. If your plan is to fish a stretch, walk to your entry point without being seen and follow the water in the direction you want to fish. I have found that when I spook fish, they usually dart upstream, so that is yet another reason to move from downstream to up. The biggest thing to keep in mind is if something is not working, change it up. The fish are there, now go catch em.

I know it's productive water, I've got many out of it before. And I were drab greens, olives, and khakis and I sneak. Just didn't know if you all had some fun new ideas to try. That and I guess fly fishing is an option. Cause what have I got to lose? Although I would prefer to do it once I've tapped in to the fish so I know that they are in the areas before I start fly fishing for them.

Oh well Thanks for the responses.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

One the the best things that i ever did to increase my catch rate is to start to use jigs, small marlboo jigs and trout magnets, little crappie jigs work great too, fish these in any holes and along undercut banks. This always seems to work for me, in fact just went out today and caught 7, released them all.

Another thing is to downsize any spinners or cranks. Especially when the weather is cold like this and early in the year, the minnows havent grown up yet. Good luck

------------------
Midway Beach Resort
www.midwaybeach.com

The Trout Magnets do work huh? I may have to try those. I have some of the Magnet heads and tied some Marabou tails on them. So I'll give them a shot.

Thanks a lot.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Okay,

I tied up some different chenille, marabou jigs and will give them a try. That and I'll try throwing some flies.

Thanks a lot.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 04-28-2004).]

You're talking stream fishing?

If no presentation is working I would guess it has something to do with the productivity of the water you're fishing. If you're sure there are trout in there, look for the haunts. For browns this means cut banks, wood, and any obstruction that they can sit in front of (and underneath). A brown will hide deep in front of an obstruction and come out to ambush prey. Rainbows tend to hang out near faster water, in the pocket water. Look behind large boulders for holding rainbows. Brookies? Wherever there aren't rainbows and browns.

Next is your approach. I once fished with a buddy who showed up wearing a yellow coat. Did I say I once fished with him? Wear drab brown or green. Stalk slowly and crouch if need be. Never ever cast a shadow on the water you're fishing. Never walk through water you haven't fished. Walking in water is a bad idea in general.

When approaching a stream I often walk up behind a tree and stand and watch for a few minutes. Pretend you're hunting. Observe.

Have fun and good luck.

Okay I'm Back in the GAME!! Thanks for all the suggestions.

I finally got some fish.....only 2 but hey I was fishing at 3 in the afternoon.

Got one smaller brown and about a 12inch Brookie.......nice fish for here.

I was throwing a 1/64oz Shad dart head with a Berkeley Gulp Maggot........GREAT LOOK!

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Well, im glad to hear that you are back at it catching fish again, seems to me like sometimes the fish want to see something new, like ive been using jigs lately and killin em, and then today they wouldnt touch it, went back to spinners and "super dupper" and i caught like 15, and a 15" brook. Just keep tryin new things.

One thing I can't emphasize enough when fishing cranks is fish them very erratic. One time I was with one of my buddies who doesn't trout fish much and he laughed at my retrieve. Well about 10 Brook Trout later including a 21 inch fish and he was mimicking my retrieve and catching fish. This was in a small beaver pond but I find it true in streams also. Try hopping on the Fly Fishing bandwagon, you won't regret it. I did and absolutely love it, rolling in on 10 years now. I still pick up the Spin gear on occasion, stream conditions pending. Good luck!!!