• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North Shore Rivers

iFish

I fish north shore rivers for loopers and salmon a few times every year but have never really ventured up-river in search of stream trout... does anybody? I spend most of my time on rivers between the Goose and Cascade and would appreciate any feedback

------------------
Good Luck!

Welcome to the forum iFish!

The north shore streams can be pretty fickle little things, but there are trout in 'em. Summer fishing is entirely different than the anadromous runs you've experienced. The rivers run low and clear and the fish are grandiose only in their beauty. There are plenty of pools in which to catch resident brook trout up that way.

I say pools because these rivers aren't spring-fed for the most part. The water warms up and the levels drop and your best bet is to find an area where trees shade the water.

Access can be difficult due to the lack of trails in some areas...and the trees make it difficult to cast.

Bring light gear (an ultralight or 4wt fly rod, choose your weapon) and sneak up to the water. The brookies range from 5"-10" for the most part, though you may find some bigger...or smaller.

Note that these waters are very sensitive and the presence of fish is not always a given. Practice C&R or at least be selective and don't clean out an entire pool.

Those rivers are a great place to hike/camp/fish. Have fun.

Welcome to FM iFish!

About the only thing I can add to that is that the Pass Lake streamer is a very popular fly on the north shore.

There is some great Brook trout fishing up there. The best river tend to be river that are connected to lakes. The lakes help keep the river from drying up during hot summers.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

I don't get out too much but when I do I tend to do best in the smaller more remote streams. Be careful with them though,they can get fished out easily. I usually dunk worms on light gear. Make sure to watch your shadows and be quiet. Good Luck

IFish-
I am an avid brookie fisherman on the north shore. i have spent countless hours and walked miles on every stream between Duluth and Two Harbors. In Mid Summer use light line and a smaller royal wulf or some terestrials. Pick a river and park on senic 61 where the river flows into the lake. You need a good pair of waiters and good feet under you. walk up stream dont waste a lot of time on the little pools. find the deep ones and work those. you will get little action during afternoon hours so besure you find a good pool to cast in by dawn. also you can use small panther martain on an ultra light spinning rod. Be sure to pinch down the barbs though or every fish you catch will die. Good luck (avoid the knife holds few brookies) and remember these things are majestic catch and release.

i grew up in two harbors and I could take you too a couple holes WAY up the knife that holds some very nice fish.
But the river too fish for me would be silver creek that river has got some very big brookies. and lots of em'

Last spring I spoke with a couple guys who were fishing the mouth of the Split Rock and they said that some rivers froze out and caused a pretty bad kill due to the lack of snow... Any truth to that? We spent one day up river on the Split Rock and fished in some of the troutiest water I have seen but didn't even see a fish so I assumed that they may be right. Regardless, it's three weeks until the anual spring trip and your posts have given me renued hope. Thanks!

------------------
Good Luck!

That is true that some rivers froze out one winter. I don't know which one did and which ones didn't.

Like I said before, the rivers connected to lakes tend to have the best fishing because of stable flows year around.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

That's funny you bring up the winter kill conversation on the Split Rock. Last spring while fishing this river I had a DNR guy hit me up for a creel survey. I answered his questions and in turn asked a few of my own. One of the first things I asked was whether the DNR knew of any freeze-outs or if they planned to do any shocking or assessments. His reply: "Nobody fishes for brook trout anyway."

Mind you, the first question every other creel surveyer asks is "What are you fishing for." He never asked. This guy had the audacity to assume my target species...and then rather than ask the anglers for feedback he presumed to tell me what anglers fish for.

Ok, I got that off my chest. Let's go fish.