• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NORTHSHORE TROUT

HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING ON THE NORTHSHORE TROUT AND SALMON SO FAR? PLAN TO GO UP TO THE SUCKER AND KNIFE. BUT- MIGHTY LONG DRIVE FOR NO FISH!!

they should be in the river but there not, have only caught 1 so far, which is really sad compared to other years. The water temp on friday was only 34 degress, the one fish that i caught was a 26" kamaloop trout, took about 45 seconds to land, it was like reeling in a dead sucker. too darn cold, the fish are very larthegic and contrary to beliefs they are not in the river. The water temp has to get to around 40 degrees before we get a run, also, most rivers are very chocked up with ice, it is really sad!
we need rain, rain, then more rain, then a couple days of 80 degrees and we'll get a run, is that too much to ask? If you do come up fish mid-day, yes mid-day, its when the water has been the warmest and the best bite has taken place. Most springs the low light periods produce the best big, but this spring is different, in fact it simply has sucked. If you want to do some decent steelheading and your comming from the cities, just drive east to the root river in milwauke/racine. thats were the best steelheading is at. just my 2 cents~
good luck to all!

Thanks looperhunter. I usually fish lake michigan through the summer by boat for kings and big browns out of mckinley harbor in milwakee. friend of mine lives down in salem, wi. Haven't fished the root since i was a kid. Still just as good?

have only been doing this north shore and trout thing for 4 years now, i'm a farm boy from south western minnesota. Last year made the first of many journeys to the wisconsin side of the lakes,
The root is better during the fall run of kings if you ask me, lots of 30+ fish taken last year, lots of fun
The brule is a lot of fun for the true fly fishing atmosphere. The only thing that ruins fishing in wisc is the fact that many people use treble hooks, which is legal believe it or not. The root is the worst for this with many people ripping at the end of there drift. Pretty sad but thats life. Wisc and lake mich have so much to offer for the future of trout and salmon in the Great Lakes, and i must give the wisc dnr credit because they keep the fish comming and comming back!