• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using Tip-Ups for Lake Trout

Greg Clusiau

Would like to get different opinions regarding using tip-ups for lake trout. I normally don't use them but plan on using one this weekend in Ontario.

What's the best set-up? Tip with cisco? Just below the ice? Type of hook? Line? What's your tip-up preference? Igloo? Etc.?

Thanks in advance.......GC

I've never used tip-ups for trout but I've caught them deadsticking. Whenever I fish stocked trout through the ice I always jig in one hole and deadstick in another. A lot of times the larger rainbows came in on the deadstick. Move the rod tip a little every once in a while and thats all you need.

When I fished lakers in Canada we only caught fish on jigging presentations. We had a few wind tip-ups out but only caught pike and walleye. We couldn't get the action that the lakers wanted using the tip-ups. We set tip-ups just off rock breaks and then we jigged the deeper basins. Caught most of our lakers in 40-60 feet and most of the pike and walleye in 20-50 feet.

Where are you going to be fishing? I was fishing Whitefish out on LOW.

Good Fishin, Matt.