• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Food Plots

jlm

Ole-
Yes, the rye grain works the best, although, if you made a mistake and planted grass, thats ok to, just be sure to mow it or it will be out of control in the future. Great job on your plots, sounds like they are doing well. I would recommend a good top dressing of fertilizer, it will green up and grow like crazy! Good luck!

If you have no eqiopment, you are still ok. This Fall, mow it down if you can. Then in the Spring, frost seed some clover. The thawing will work the seed into the soil and it will grow like made. I would recommend mowing it a few times throughout the warm months if possible. Good luck.

czl99, some of the products that you plant for food plots don't require alot of ground prep, but most of them say, the better you prepare the soil, the better result you get. My brother has a big Yardman Tiller and we till the heck out of the soil once a week for 2-3 weeks before we plant.

Blackjack and jlm, Thanks for the reply on the rye grain. As for fertilizing, we fertilized right after planting and we plan one more round of fertilizer right around freeze-up. We mow the meadow twice a year, once in the end of June and once in the end of july or the first week of Aug., by mid Sept. it's back up and doing great, just in time for bow hunting.

I will keep everone posted on what grows the best and what the deer seem to like the most. Once I figure that out we can email each other with brand names of products.

Only 5 weeks and 3 day's until we can sit in the tree with a bow, has everyone been practicing?

Ole

------------------
Olson Insurance Agency
[email protected]
952-224-4774