• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting Trailer?

JBone

For a "do it yourself" project, I would recommend dissassembling it as far as possible then using an angle grinder with a disc sander to bust off as much rust as you can get at. Then use a wire cup wheel on the same angle grinder to finish the cleanup. Get the paint off of the rust even if you have to do some hand sanding. After that, use a "rust converter" to stabilize the rust (important step here). For paint, I would use Rustoleum primer and 2 coats of enamel. It's good stuff and you can get it anywhere. You should be able to do the repaint for less that $100.00 including supplies.

I just finished mine and did perty much what Hydro said. I replaced my bent tung so got to start with bare steel. Painting the inside of the 3x3 Square tube sucked since it was 10' long but the rest of the trailer went relativly smooth.

I went thru probably 20 cans of paint combining primer,paint and clear enamel. I used two colors so that contributed to more cans. If you use cans be sure to shake them often to eliminate the cans spiting the paint instead of spraying it.

I did take it all the way down and painted all attachments white and the rest black, picked up some new rims, replaced bearings and races, welded a couple things I have been wanting on there along with welding in places the manufacture did not for more strenght.

I spent around 200.00 for everything and feel I have a a nice stong trailer again that looks good with a home paint job.

By the way I used rust olium paint, but will not be able to say how well it holds up until I can get some history. I hope it holds up well. LOL

Just thought I would add I cleaned the trailer well with solvent and wiped it dry before painting.

Good luck and you will be happy when your done.

I'm affraid to put mine in the water now! Lol

CC HURL

Maybe I should add to use the can (quarts) paint and either brush, roller, or if you have a compressor, spray it on. Rattle cans will work but the paint in the quart cans will come out tougher than the spray can product.