• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which gps

adamr

Im looking for a chipable gps wondering what you guys think, my current fish finder is like a 200 dollar eagle. So im debating on a 522c lowrance will this actual fish finding part improve that mutch or should I just get a h2o Im curius if the screen seams too small on them?

If I had to do it again - I would not buy the H20 - although I am 48 yrs old with bi-focals. I'm putting a RAM mount with a magnifying sheet over it and see if that helps.

The biggest problem I faced was staying oriented in heavier water. If I looked down and my boat spun a little - plus the dang boat bobbing all over the place - I'm trying to steer - fish and hold my GPS at the same time.

Nuh Uh. I wish I would have put the money toward at least a 520.

This is just my opinion - lots and lots of better fisherman than me have no problem with it. I use it because I don't want to spend more money yet - but I will eventually move up - probably at least to 7 incher....

The 522c is discontinued so unless you can find one on clearance somewhere you're out of luck. The new model is the HDS-5, which has a rebate on it right now.

Lowrance HDS-5

Lowrance HDS Rebate

Lowrance H2Oc

The 5" screen can be used in split screen mode (part gps, part fish finder) but the screen gets small --- especially when using a map card with a high definition map (it's nice to have a large color screen to view it on). But ...... using a 5" screen in split screen mode is not much different than looking at a map card on an H2Oc.

The benefits of going with an HDS-5 are that you can use up to the full 5" screen to view the map card, it comes with the broadband sounder built in so there is a big step up from your Eagle, and the gps will update faster than the H2Oc. Benefits of going with an H2Oc is that it's cheaper and portable.

Hope that helps.

I use a H2Oc with a RAM mount in my boat. For a portable unit I think the H2Oc is a great unit. I also don't like the way Navionic cards work but the Lakemaster cards are awesome! The menu is very similar to the Lowrance graph on my boat too. I run a portable because sometimes I don't always fish in my bigger boat. I take it to Basswood in my 14' and it's nice to take inside and just study the lake maps too. If I did nothing but fish out of my 17 footer I'd have a big screeen permanent GPS/sonar. As far as comparing portable to portable I've had 5 different units and I like this one the best even though it cost the least.

If you are looking for a fish finder/GPS combo check out the new Humminbirds that have the 50 channel gps. Sitting in my garage, by the time I turn it on and flip through about 4 screens to see the gps view it has already locked on to about 10 satellites. Compared to my H20, it's in a whole different league. However, I do wish it would accept the Lakemaster chip.