Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MIDNIGHT777

Trolling rod?'s

4 posts in this topic

I am thinking about getting 2 new trolling rods. They will be used primarly for pulling planer boards and cranks but would also use for long line trolling cranks. I have my choices narrowed down to a few. My main question/concern is the diffference between telescoping or 2 piece. I would prefer telescopic but the 2 piece in a 8-10 foot would fit in the rod lockers better. Are the 2 pieces as durable as the telescopic poles? what are any pros cons of the 2 piece rods.

Thanks,

I'm a huge fan of telescoping rods ---- they're super quick and easy to set up and take down and even my 9 footers fit great in the boat when they're collapsed. Two-piece rods on the other hand are a lot more work to get rigged and ready, and to put away when you're done using them. I've had telescoping rods for years and have never had a breakage or durability issue with them.

But -- I only like those rods for boards. If I'm flatlining or longlining cranks I am almost sure to be using a 7' Med or MedLite graphite rod, for the light weight and the sensitivity. And I think they're just a lot more fun to catch fish on.

Here's a recent thread in the walleye forum that has some good discussion about trolling rods and reels - CLICK HERE

My friend bought a Cabela's board rod that telescopes - it does not shorten up more than about 2 1/2' (8 1/2 down to about 6'). The joint is similar to the joint on a two piece rod so the strength would be similar as well. The two piece rods are shorter when taken apart, that's about the only difference.

Get a hold of Turk and go with Limit Creek rods. Best I have seen for well under the $100 mark. I use my for planer boards, lead core and any type of trolling. That's what Turk designed them for.