Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sutty

Options for connecting kicker motor to main motor

14 posts in this topic

I bought a honda 8 horse four stroke kicker and need to get some kind of connecting rod to connect to my opti. I will also be hooking up a troll master. I'd like to be able to disconnect it pretty easily to run on its own occasionally.

What advice do you guys have?

Thanks,

Sutty

i have a quick disconnect for mine its a t-8 but 150e-tec

but i'm sure you can get the same deal not sure where but i'm sure a dealer or a boat rigger can get u point in the right direction

I would take a look at Cabela's... they have two of the more popular styles - the EZ Steer and the Tie Rod style.

marine_man

I have the tie rod style and its OK. I don't know if its the way its setup (bought the boat used) but I can make hard rights but not lefts. I like your idea of a quick disconnect. I wonder how hard it would be to convert my kicker into a tiller?

It wouldn't be too difficult... you'll need to find a handle, but and remove the extra controls, but that'd be it.

marine_man

No to hijack this post, but I am also thinking about doing the same thing. I have a Yamaha 150 and T8 that I would be connecting on a Ranger Reata. My question is……..will I be able to tilt the big motor up/down and leave the kicker motor down/up or vise versa? Or will I have to remove the bracket from both motors.

Matt

A lot of that will depend on which system you get. The EZ Steer will be most likely to allow you to do that. The Tie Rod system depends on how you mount the ball ends - if they don't stick out far enough it'll bind or rub on the hood.

marine_man

I have a 200 yamaha with a t8 connected by a rod and I can bring the main motor up.

Went to cabelas last night to do my part and stimulate the economy :-) Among other things I picked up the connecting rod. When I mount the kicker do I put it as close as possible to the main without them able to touch?

Yes, that's correct.

Also make sure it doesn't hit the side of the boat when you turn the motor the other way.

marine_man

Which part do you mean could hit the side of the boat?

Thanks as always MM

I'm not the right guy to ask but mine is mounted about a foot from the main motor.

If you turn the motor one way you'll hit the main motor, if you turn the motor the other way you may hit the side of your boat. It all depends on what the transom and surrounding support structure is like.

marine_man