• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

narrow or dual beam

danny berg

Question

4 answers to this question

There is an article in InF.... ice fishing magazine comparing the Marcum and Vexilar flasher units. Doug Stange mainly bases his review on his experience with the FL-18 an says that he prefers the narrow cone and used that almost exclusively last year. There wasn't any current info on the new Marcum unit so he compared it with the older Zercom units and made assumptions based on the newer features of this unit and how it should perform on the Marcum as compared to the Vexilar. Really wasn't much of a real-life comparison yet. That won't happen until people get the units in their hands and are on the ice.

I have the same dillema! My transducer has seen it's better days. So I am contemplating as to which type of transducer to buy.
I put my sons transducer on my FL-8 and could see the difference of signal strength.
Mine was definetly weaker. I think I am going to spend the extra money to buy the dual 9-19 degree because I fish 50 feet of water on Lake Osakis and the 19 degree transducer would cover too much area at that depth. And when I fish shallower the 19 degree would work better down to 30 feet of water. There is a switch on the cable witch makes this easy to use. I think the dual is the ticket in my opinion!!

------------------
F-STOP

I just bought a Fl-18 w/dual beam. I like it but I an yet to use it on hard water. I used it in deep water during the summer, it makes a difference.
The 9 deg. also helps if you are fishing on a drop-off so the "dead zone" isnt that big.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

I opted to buy the dual when I purchased my FL18 at Reeds last winter. I have found being able to flip back and forth, gives me the best of both worlds. Whatever the factors involved, I can use the one that gives me the best performance. I haven't used the 12 degree as yet and have heard good comments about it. But I still prefer being able to choose.

Do Love that FL18 smile.gif