• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor batteries?

JASONY

Question

With a 24 volt motor you're probably around 80 lbs of thrust, so for a 620 I'd think you're probably running the motor at 1/2 speed or faster most of the time? That will drain the batteries quickly.

I realize it's not cheap to upgrade motors, but I'd say a 36 volt motor is "typical" for your boat. And that's why you have room for a 3rd battery in that boat.

If you are considering upgrading, keep in mind that your used motor will be worth some money if you sell it, and there's a rebate on new Minn Kota motors right now.

MinnKota Motors and Rebate

Just wondering how a guy would add another battery to a 24v system that runs the trolling motor? Is it possible? or do I have to add 2 batteries? Two batteries just dont last long enough if using them constantly.

Assuming you are commenting on how long your batteries are lasting between charges what do you term not long enough? I have two Excide 27's that I can get two 10 to 12 hour days of steady use before they need charging. I have a MnKota 90 lb MinnKota Power Drive draging a 17 ft Lund Explorer Sport around. Just a suggestion if you are not getting at least a day and half out of the 24v system you may want to check your charger.

i have a 2095 yar craft w/an 80lb terrova i can make most day in a fairly heavy chop

i did find last yr though that if one battery is weak it will cut ur time in half

last summer i had 2 brand new ones and was impressed with the lenght of time

Better part of a day, but usually not all of a long day. Not like it's totally dead, but definitely well down on power.

That's running the motor pretty much all the time because my 90hp doesn't troll down very good. So, I end up using the electric to do all the trolling, and that's almost all I do is troll.

By the way, it's really not too good for the batteries to be drawn down more than about 50%. Just because they're "deep cycle" doesn't mean they like to be drawn to dead. Drawn to 40-50% capacity is a deep cycle in battery parlance, afaik.