• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning baitcasting reel - best way?

mroyten

Question

Yeah I got an old Abu Garcia c3 5500 that I just love and would like to take it all apart and clean every little cranny in there. What method would you guys recommend for doing this?

Also, how do I take off the section that is enclosed nearest to the handle and brake? I am able to pry it apart a little but can't figure out how to separate it without making matters worse.

7 answers to this question

You need to take the reel handle off and then you will have washers in there along with the unscrewing the drag. I have a record abu garcia and I'm share it's similar to yours. When I clean mine I was just careful not to lose all the different washers and remember the order they all came off.

Those Abus are pretty darn simple. I've done my C3s many, many times. Are you wondering about taking the sideplate on the left (see picture below) off? Those knurled knobs unscrew and the sideplate pops off. Don't worry, nothing will fall out. You've then got to take the handle, washers, roller-bearing, and drag out. The innards of the sideplate come out pretty easy. Just be careful and go slowly. Make sure you have a clean workspace and lay everything out as it comes apart.

It's tough to talk through. If you have any specifics, ask and I will try to answer. If you can take a picture it would help. ryan(dot)bielat(at)gmail(dot)com

ABU005.jpg

Now that it is apart, make sure you have some order on how it goes back together! I am not kidding either, the first time I tried to work on my reels I ended up having to bring them to a buddy's house for him to help me put them back together. It is pretty easy after doing a couple, but the first one or two can be difficult to get all the washers, springs, and screws back in the right spots.

I like to clean mine with a toothbrush and Simple Green solution. I like Simple Green because it really cuts the grease and is safe on plastic.

Good luck and have fun. I am a reel cleaning freak now. It is fun to get reels working better and feeling smoother than they did when they came from the factory.