Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrfish1991

O'riley auto show

3 posts in this topic

I went to the car show today that was at the river center and i saw something that i thought was really cool. Of course there were the tricked out street cars, and the cars i wanted to hotwire and drive off with (i would never do that though)... There was something that topped all of that in my book.

There was a man in the side room that had a custom hot rod that he was letting people sign. He was not letting just anybody sign it though. The only people he was letting sign it were people who had done time in the armed services.

This car was not a rat rod either. This car had some serious work that had gone into it. It was military themed with the olive drab paint and all that jazz. I thought that the car dedicated to military personel was an amazingly creative and over all awsome way to show appreciation for the men and women that fight to protect our country.

I have no military service, nor do i plan to enlist, but i do honor those who have served to keep our country safe, and all those that did not make it home.

I just want to say thankyou to the car owner for honoring our service personel and thankyou to everyone who has ever served in our armed forces. You will always be in my thoghts and prayers

That's awesome Mrfish. Great story and that's a great dedication to the men and women that serve for us. I love reading of tributes like this.

Too bad they never make it to the main streem media.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• I wanted to do a little write up on my Colorado elk hunt I went on the other week, a group of 7 of us went out for a week, 4 muzzy hunters, 2 bowhunters and 1 hiker/photographer/packer.  We have family that has a cabin in the area we hunted so we planned on staying there 1 night before we were going to camp for 6 nights in the wilderness.  A couple quick pics of what my meals and gear were for the week, after hours of reading I tried as hard as possible to keep it around the 100 calories per ounce for my food I think in the end I was around 105 after I got done with all my weighing measuring, the only thing not in there was my Mountain House meals.   

IMG_0463.JPGIMG_0469.JPGIMG_0470.JPG

With having so many of us going we didn't need to double up on a lot of the items, water filtration, first aid, rope etc.  The night before we went out we took the scale out and made everyone get on we all average about 60 pounds with water except my father in law which at one  point was almost at 100 pounds and we slimmed it down to about 80.

IMG_0471.JPG

After sitting down the night before and finalizing our plan we were going to hit a trail head up in the morning and hike back about 3-4 miles and make camp, based off of the maps and Google earth we saw water and large enough areas to get off the trails to get in some decent hunting areas....that was our first big mistake which we regretted. 

We got up early ate a good breakfast and hit the trailhead, most in the group were early 30s with my father in his 50s being the oldest but we were all in decent shape...so we thought it didn't take more then 15 minutes of up hill walking at 9,000' of elevation with 60 pounds packs to humble us very quickly.  There was a lot of stopping as we made it down the trail as our lungs go acclimated to the thinner air but the amazing scenery made the trek a little easier.

IMG_0473.JPGIMG_0475.JPG

The trail took us about a mile in before we reached the wilderness and at that point we had another 2-3 miles back, as we got into the wilderness the terrain became steeper and steeper and our pace got slower and slower, it took us almost 4 hours to make it a little over 2 miles in, at that point we finally found a very tiny water source, we became concerned at that time not seeing any water, we checked our map and saw a creek about another half mile up so we headed on got there and it was dry as a bone.  We looked again and saw another spot about a mile up we walked about half a mile then split up with half the group relaxing, eating, and scouting and a few other going to check for water.  The area had great spots for a camp, elk sign everywhere but 0 water, the other guys came back and said it was dry up further to, we didn't want to walk a mile each day for water and didn't exactly trust the water source either so we decided we were safer to turn around instead of keep going deeper into the wilderness hoping to find water.  The trailhead at the start of the wilderness split off one direction so we sent one guy down that way to check one last water source before we totally scrapped that area and went back to the cabin.  He ran into a couple local hikers who said all the smaller creeks and drainages were all dried up and they hadn't had rain in awhile at that point we packed the trucks back up headed back to the cabin and ordered pizza.  8 miles of brutal walking for the day and we were right back to where we were at the start of the day.

• 20 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

I will be planting garlic for the 1st time this year. I'm thinking of planting in a terrace that is not fenced in. Is there any varmints or deer that I have to worry about? 

mine gets planted out in the open that has critters around including deer and never had issues. that's just me though!!!!

Cooperman likes this
    • I was at the cabin this weekend and seen a few of them also. wasn't paying a whole lot of attention at home but thought i'd seen one here in stearns county last nite. gonna keep an eye out tonite.

I know the hummingbirds are gone!

• I will be planting garlic for the 1st time this year. I'm thinking of planting in a terrace that is not fenced in. Is there any varmints or deer that I have to worry about? 

•  Good Luck out there. Went up this past weekend to to mow the trails, etc. and I even brought the boat motor with to fish but the wind never quit blowing! Hopefully I'll give it a shot in a few weeks.

• I wanted to do a little write up on my Colorado elk hunt I went on the other week, a group of 7 of us went out for a week, 4 muzzy hunters, 2 bowhunters and 1 hiker/photographer/packer.  We have family that has a cabin in the area we hunted so we planned on staying there 1 night before we were going to camp for 6 nights in the wilderness.  A couple quick pics of what my meals and gear were for the week, after hours of reading I tried as hard as possible to keep it around the 100 calories per ounce for my food I think in the end I was around 105 after I got done with all my weighing measuring, the only thing not in there was my Mountain House meals.    With having so many of us going we didn't need to double up on a lot of the items, water filtration, first aid, rope etc.  The night before we went out we took the scale out and made everyone get on we all average about 60 pounds with water except my father in law which at one  point was almost at 100 pounds and we slimmed it down to about 80.   After sitting down the night before and finalizing our plan we were going to hit a trail head up in the morning and hike back about 3-4 miles and make camp, based off of the maps and Google earth we saw water and large enough areas to get off the trails to get in some decent hunting areas....that was our first big mistake which we regretted.  We got up early ate a good breakfast and hit the trailhead, most in the group were early 30s with my father in his 50s being the oldest but we were all in decent shape...so we thought it didn't take more then 15 minutes of up hill walking at 9,000' of elevation with 60 pounds packs to humble us very quickly.  There was a lot of stopping as we made it down the trail as our lungs go acclimated to the thinner air but the amazing scenery made the trek a little easier. The trail took us about a mile in before we reached the wilderness and at that point we had another 2-3 miles back, as we got into the wilderness the terrain became steeper and steeper and our pace got slower and slower, it took us almost 4 hours to make it a little over 2 miles in, at that point we finally found a very tiny water source, we became concerned at that time not seeing any water, we checked our map and saw a creek about another half mile up so we headed on got there and it was dry as a bone.  We looked again and saw another spot about a mile up we walked about half a mile then split up with half the group relaxing, eating, and scouting and a few other going to check for water.  The area had great spots for a camp, elk sign everywhere but 0 water, the other guys came back and said it was dry up further to, we didn't want to walk a mile each day for water and didn't exactly trust the water source either so we decided we were safer to turn around instead of keep going deeper into the wilderness hoping to find water.  The trailhead at the start of the wilderness split off one direction so we sent one guy down that way to check one last water source before we totally scrapped that area and went back to the cabin.  He ran into a couple local hikers who said all the smaller creeks and drainages were all dried up and they hadn't had rain in awhile at that point we packed the trucks back up headed back to the cabin and ordered pizza.  8 miles of brutal walking for the day and we were right back to where we were at the start of the day.
    • mine gets planted out in the open that has critters around including deer and never had issues. that's just me though!!!!
    • I was at the cabin this weekend and seen a few of them also. wasn't paying a whole lot of attention at home but thought i'd seen one here in stearns county last nite. gonna keep an eye out tonite. I know the hummingbirds are gone!  
    • I will be planting garlic for the 1st time this year. I'm thinking of planting in a terrace that is not fenced in. Is there any varmints or deer that I have to worry about? 
    • Good Luck out there. Went up this past weekend to to mow the trails, etc. and I even brought the boat motor with to fish but the wind never quit blowing! Hopefully I'll give it a shot in a few weeks.
    • We had our first Junco arrive this weekend. Hope that is not a sign of the type of winter we are in for 
    • I made a sled for my pop up that pulls everything out on the ice then I put the shelter over the sled and the lights are on the sled. 
    • Last week I washed my Brute Force in preparation for an up-coming trip to a hunting camp and of course one can't go with it looking like dump. The black plastic portion looked faded and I wanted to refresh it. I decided to try using Armor-all vinyl cleaner and was surprised at the outcome. It looked like new again. Might be worth a try. 
    • Yeah, I know. I was just adding to it. 
    • I reckon its getting close to that time to replant!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Our Sponsors