• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable question- fishtrap owners

spotchecker

I have a voyager and been fishing out of it for 2 years and i never have problems heating it. The extra room is great for minnows, vexilars, cameras, etc. and its also nice having that room to make it easier getting in and out of the house, some smaller portables its nearly impossible to get out if you have a sunflower running.

"Getting fumigated" is the least of your worries on the ventilation. Between the pair of mesh windows, the pair of velcro vents up high, the door itself, and any airgap you choose to leave around the bottom, there is enough fresh air in there for anybody. It's more of a challenge to block enough fresh air when it is -35F out there! Just kidding. With the proper snow banking and adding that insulation, it gets really toasty in mine. I have run both the sunflower heaters and a Big Buddy. No problem with either. And since I have a cigar once in a while, I find that I am opening up the vents more to get rid of the smoke than over worries about kaking from heater fumes. My point is that you can easily control the amount of fresh air coming in, they are very safe.

And good catch on the 5th hole. I do exactly what you were thinking. 4 lines down with the camera in the 5th so we can see all 4 lines. works nice....... Try the 4 holes in a perfect line, then your camera hole slightly offset on the end. Easier to see all 4 lines.

To put it short and sweet, if you are a big guy and you fish with another big guy, get the Voyager. You will not be sorry.

I carry a lot of gear and probably have my Voyager weighing in at 400 lbs. fully loaded - including 20 lb propane tank and 10 inch auger. The auger can fit in the tub behind the seats with the propane tank in a milk crate.

Rods (cased) and tackle are under the auger. Middle seat removed to make room for a tote that carries my heater cooker, cooking items, spare parts for everything. I then use the top of the tote as a table while I'm fishing.

I keep a kneeling board for hole hopping, a floor mat cut to full width of the house, bucket, tow rope, gaff, ice scoop, auger extension, etc. all in the ends of the tub. Miscellaneous tackle goes in the sling bags under the seats.

It held up to the winds of Ely last weekend (30 mph + I heard). I was able to heat it comfortably and safely with the heater cooker on low. Occasionally I'll use medium.

And there are plenty of air vents to keep you feeling fine.

If you don't like the side mesh vents wide open, just pull a corner down to midway and stick the velcro back on with the main flap bulged open. This will leave an indirect draft that is more comfortable than being wide open.

This is the best I can answer your question. Just don't think you'll be hand dragging one loaded down much! laugh

Roooos,

A real good friend & myself got very ill trying to be self sustained on low in a clam sleeper. I'm not blaming them because if I remember right it was too cold outside according to insructions. Anyways we had a double sunflower going full bore all night and for some reason I woke up . I had all of the symptoms for co2 poisoning barely got out of that fishhouse alive,Thats why I'm A little goofy with that stuff.

I believe the voyager sled is 7 inches longer and 2 inches wider then the youkon sled. The Voyager weights 28 lbs more than the youkon. When set up comparing the voyager to the youkon, you will have 5 more inches of height, 6 more inches of length, and 7 more inches of width(length of sled). I have a youkon and am 6'. Early season when there is no snow I hit my head while standing up. When we get some snow the sled of the shack sits on the snow and I dig down in the floor area which allows me to stand and stretch out. If you would like to be able to stand up in it and stretch out go with the voyager. I have fished out of both the voyager and youkon and both are good shacks. I personally have not had any problem fishing two good sized guys out of my yukon. The only drawback is not being able to stand up completely. Good luck and whatever decision you make you will be happy.