• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of structure will walleyes be by now?

Christopher Quast

I am fishing a lake that holds some nice eyes, just was wondering if they favor one piece of structure over another during different times of the day and ice season or is it more of a daytime deep and night time shallow thing? Very new to fishing eyes, especially through the ice

You've got the right idea with the daytime deep and night time shallow thing. Now, you need to incorporate the structure piece. During the day look for changes in the bottom like gravel to mud bottoms. Those transitions can play a big part in where the fish will hold. Also, try to find humps in the deeper water. At night, I personally like to set up on the sharpest drop off I can find or a shelf coming up from deep water into shallow. Good luck!

How exactly can you find a transition from gravel to mud, or weeds to rocks?

Are you able to tell via vexilar or is it basically just drop a camera down?

Look for a double echo on your flasher or a short band for the bottom (hard), if you a broad band for the bottom it is probably a soft bottom.

I also use a depth finder weight and bounce it off the bottom, so you can really feel what the bottom is like.

The best way is with a camera.

If you're new to ice fishing for walleyes, best bet is to fish low light times of day (morning/evening)to have the best chance at catching one.

If you know of structure where you found walleyes during open water, there should be a few around there during winter too. Try to find a turn in the break or a point, and set up there.

I like to set tipups starting at the base of the break where it flattens out then work up the break to the top. Then if you are getting bites at a certain depth you will know what depth they prefer. As far as transition areas from gravel to mud, you can see this on your vexilar but it takes a little practice. Hard bottom will give a narrower bottom reading on the vex, and a softer bottom will show a wider bottom reading. To find the exact transition area it pretty tricky though. Maybe someone else has a good way of finding that.