• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 front differential

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 and some thing went out in the front differential.Seems like it locks up and growls. What ever it is it’s in the center section. Any one know any thing about fixing this with out bringing it to the dealer and costing an arm and a leg. Close to 140k.

Find a independant garage that knows how to repair them. I've had them apart and it's no picnic. Getting them out of the vehicle without a hoist is out of the question. Too much stuff to remove.

I had something similar two years ago with 99 Suburban 240000 miles , front diff was junk and had a dealer put in a used one with 76000 miles on it , total bill was $1100. Not a fun experience.

I don’t have time for search and find so I brought it to my dealer where I purchased it. They checked it out and it’s not fixable so they are looking for a replacement differential. Shop rate is $65.00 an hr. No rhyme or reason for it to go out unless it wasn’t disengaging after using 4-wheel drive.