Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
bhs91

voltage meter in 1995 jeep grand cherokee

I have noticed recently that my dash mounted voltage meter has some swings to it as i drive. When i am idling, it drops, when i speed up it is "normal". The range is from 9-19 and normal is around 12-13, but when I idle it drops to around 9. Is this an idication of a battery going bad, or the alternator or do i have a loose belt? Or is it normal since I usually have the heat going full bore this last few weeks?

Thanks,

BHS

Batteries have heavier loads on them during the winter so it becomes more difficult for the battery and charging system to keep up. As you said, the heater is on, lights are on more (shorter days), dirty windshields mean wipers get used more, electric seat(on some) rear window defrosters. You get the idea, there is usually extra loads on a system during the winter so its not unlikely that the alternator is at capacity and at idle it is either barely/not filling the battery's need. If it charges normal at speed thats a good thing, it says its doing ok there. You could try shutting everthing off at idle and see what it looks like then. If you are not having problems with it starting at these temps chances are its ok.

The only way to know for sure if you are concerned is to do a load test on the battery and charging system to verify the output.

Mac55 Does bring up good points, but I have seen a fair share of voltage regulators puke on these.

If I recall, 4.0L or the 5.2L, the VR is internal on the alternator.

Last year on a 87 Ram plow truck I have did the same thing and turned out to voltage regulator. That one was separate from the alternator and was mounted on the fire wall though.

get it checked. Does the gauge "bounce" when the turn signal is turned on? That is a pretty good indicator that trouble is brewing in the alternator. With the cold weather that has been in the area, I would say a starting/charging system test would be money well spent. If something needs to be replaced, a lot of garages will waive the test fee. Don't be surprised if you end up buying a battery and a alternator. Better safe than sorry.