• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish decoying

Is anybody else having a lot of troubles this year getting the fish to decoy into the hole? It seems like everything I am seeing is on the edges of the hole or just slashing in to grab the decoy. I have never been out so much without having very much luck as I have this year. Any ideas on slowing the dang things down or is it probably just weather dependent?

This weekend all the fish we saw were slow movers.

If they are coming into the hole too quick some things you might want to consider are.

If you are using a live decoy switch to fakes and that should slow them down.

If you are using fakes try jigging less.

In general the snow cover should help; they also seem to slow down more as the season progresses.

Keep as much snow around the outside of the house as you can.

T F this morning all the fish I saw were moving in really slow and didnt have much luck with the fake decoys until I put down a spoon (daredevil) with no hooks on it jigged it a few times then it would just sit and spin really slow and that seem to get there atention but they werent coming in totally

I put a spoon on every now and then to take all the spin out of my decoy line and I think that I wiil be doing a little more often.

I don't take the weather into account a whole lot because they should still come by even if they're not interested in biting. If they're flying in fast, that's more than likely due to the action of the decoy or sucker. Slow things down and try leaving the decoy sit for 10-15 minutes at a time minimum.

Keep switching decoys or try a live sucker or vice versa. If you are seeing fish but they're skirting, I would make very sure you do not have an issue with light getting in somewhere. In my experience if you were doing something to spook the fish, you would never see any. But if they're skirting, I would attribute that to something like light or something not looking right when they get close.

We have our house in a great spot that is very consistent almost all season. We see a lot of big fish and plenty of perfect "eaters" every year, but we always have those days where you see nothing for hours...it's just one of those things.

I agree with F&F about some light or movement making them leery about coming in. Is it dark inside of the house? If they are slow I would use a slow presentation. If you see them on the edge slowly move the decoy away from the pike and they might follow it. Change decoys or even colors. Another thing might be to change your user name to the greatest fisherman.

T F this morning all the fish I saw were moving in really slow and didnt have much luck with the fake decoys until I put down a spoon (daredevil) with no hooks on it jigged it a few times then it would just sit and spin really slow and that seem to get there atention but they werent coming in totally

I put a spoon on every now and then to take all the spin out of my decoy line and I think that I wiil be doing a little more often.

What size daredevil do you like?

One of the really big ones or a reg (3" or so) ones?

Ps Nice fish this morning!

Huey the regular size is what I have but I am going to pick up the muskie sized ones and try those. I saw this on a automatic spinner rig that slowly spins the daredevil and I am going to try and make one myself they are a bit expensive and I think that I have every thing to make my own.

A guy I know uses these and thats what he swears by and he doesnt even use live suckers anymore he said the pike come in and stare at the spinnig daredevil

They are coming in pretty decent for me.

Well, not totally. They are under the ice, but they are coming close enough where I can still spear them under the ice. All I normally see is their nose, which is enough (if on my "good" side).

When we get more snow, they will come in better.