Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
apegs

plastics used in ice fishing?

5 posts in this topic

I consider my ice fishing knowledge pretty limited so this might be a dumb question. I was just wondering if any body uses soft plastics for fishing in the winter time like a plastic worm or something like that? Organizing some jigs for a mill lacs trip and was sorting through my plastics when I thought about this. I picked up some fin tech knuckleball jigs from the ice show that are pretty cool. Wondering if attatching a plastic worm on there would get any bites for ice fishing or any set up kind of like I mentioned. I've only ever used jigs befor with a minnow or some waxxies on there.

There are probably better options than a plastic worm. These are some of the more common plastics used for ice fishing. Plastics are used more so for panfish though.

powerminnows001.jpg

1201707538738-1265335125.jpg

last week I use gulp smelt falvor, just took off the split tail and hooked it on and jigged it caught a lot of panfish and perch. I also cut the rest of the body into 1-1 1/2 inch strips so they go alot farther.

I also found these on the internet. Look like they may work for some walleyes or crappies, Ive never tried them though. If im fishing walleyes I usually feel more confident with some sort or meat on my hook.

18b76de3cbc56580ea070abe05bb496a.jpg

I use plastics a lot for panfish, usually using the plastic in place of bait like waxies or euros.

I don't really use plastics for walleyes, I usually use a jigging spoon with a minnow head -- that's my favorite walleye bait. Next favorite is a whole minnow on a deadstick.