• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster Carb Questions

Warner's Point

I have a SM Lazer Mag that I bought in 1998. It does not want to idle after it is started. For some reason the flap inside the carb doesn't shut after you let go of the throttle. would this cause the engine to stop running? I was told that the air from the engine is supposed to push it shut with the fin up by fly wheel. It's not doing that. Is there a spring that is supposed to be on the bottom side of the carb to pull it shut?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

I would give Strikemaster in Big Lake a call. Those guys are super with advice and or service. They should be able to answer your question in a heartbeat. I've been down a couple of times with idling problems and have yet to charged. I walways buy something, cap, oil becuase I feel I should pay them something. I went to Amzoil in mine last year and the starting and idling improved 100%, plus no smoke. Good luck and hang on. Bill

It could be as simple as your carb being gummed up. Mine gets sticky after setting over the winter. Take off the air intake and spray some marine carburetor cleaner in there, also on the pivot points on the outside of the car as well. That should loosen things up. Also, make sure the spring from the governor is attached to the throttle arm (the flap's lever on the outside)as well. On mine, the spring is attached on the top. Good Luck.

Warners Point

The flap in the carb will always be open when the engine is not running. After the engine starts, the gov vane will move the carb plate to the proper position, in accordance with the position that you have the throttle handle at.

The reason the engine will not idle is multiple. I have found most of the time, if you have not done any adjustments to the carb, is dirt or fuel that has gummed up in the idle circut of the carb.

There is two adjustments on your carb. One is the idle stop screw. You will see this next to the throttle lever, and when adjusted correctly, will contact the throttle lever and hold the throttle plate open a very small amount at idle speed. Try turning this screw in about 1/4 turn and see if the engine will run at that time.

The other adjustment is the idle mixture screw. This is located on the side of the carb. This screw meters the amount of fuel and air that is allowed into the idle circut for running at low speed. If the engine has not been ran for a long period of time, stale fuel may be in this curcut. Turn the screw 1/4 tp 1/2 turn conterclockwise and see if the engine will continue to run. If it does not, you will need the carb removed, cleaned, and a diaphragm kit installed.

Hope this helps. When our ice season starts, I see about 10 to 12 augers a day for the first week of the season. 99% of these units need to have the carb worked on due to stale fuel.

Harry

My suggestion, since I had to do this last night, is to remove the gas tank and clean the carb. Pull off the gas tank (one exterior nut and two nuts under the air filter)and disconnect the gas line from the carb. The straw from a bottle of carb cleaner should fit snuggly in the plastic hose barb that the gas line attaches to. Using the straw, start spraying carb cleaner into the carb. Make sure you cycle the throttle a few times, though I am not 100% sure that helps. I usually give a squirt, let it sit for a minute, and repeat for about 15 minutes. Also give the air intake a good squirt while you are in there, and also check the spark plug. If you still have old gas in the tank, drain it all out and replace it with new stuff. Hope this helps!