• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

metro walking trails / parks

fishermusk

I was wondering if you new of some walking trails preferably in the north metro that have nice trails with oppertunites to bird watch and maybe see other critters? My wife will not go walking with me in Carlos Avery because of hunting seasons mainly and I don't like walking on the bike trail along side hwy 61 because there is very little wildlife to see while walking. Do you have any suggestions?

Thats pretty easy, take a look at the Three Rivers park system. A couple of my favorites are French Park and Elm Creek. During the summer all of the parks have trail systems, during the winter check the individual Parks for what trails are available.

I do know that Elm Creek while having one of the biggest XC ski areas also provides walking trails in the winter. The Eastman Nature Center is also located there. Lots of wildlife oppurtunity.

Another favorite is Westwood Hills Nature Center in St. Louis Park, a bit of a drive from Forest Lake but a great way to kill an afternoon.

Hope that helps, those are the ones that pop into my head.

Tamarack nature center in White Bear Lake is a pretty good place to see birds and wildlife. (deer, fox, coyotes are all pretty common)

Also-there are a number of state parks within a pretty short drive from Forest Lake...

-William O'Brien state park in marine on the st. croix is has lots of hiking trails. Plenty of deer, LOTS of coyotes.

-Wild river st. park.- A pretty secluded park for being so close to the metro area Lots of migrating birds, deer, racoons, coyotes, and fox all very common. Although I haven't personally seen one here, I have heard black bears are pretty common to spot here in the spring/summer. I have also seen signs of wolves in and near the park.

-Interstate St. Park in taylors falls is very scenic all throughout the year. If you enjoy a little more rugged terrain, try this one out.