• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 questions (Scope and ammo)

Hey guys, I am relatively new to this awesome sport with only a couple successful stands but boy were they awesome. I was wondering for those of you who shoot Hornaday V-max if you prefer the moly tip or the metal one and maybe why you like either one. Also I am looking at getting a Nikon Monarch for my .223 and was wondering if anyone has used one and if they have what do you think of the BDC reticle or any other reticle that is like that. Thanks everyone I have learned a lot from paging through this.

I have a .243 weatherby with a nikon monarch 3-9x40 W/ the bdc reticle. To be honest, i have yet to shoot past 100 yrds, thats what i have it zeroed in at. But i think once a guy gets to know his rifle/ammo combo and sight it in w/ the bdc it will pay off. The monarch is a nice scope. I can see the bullet holes in a piece of plywood at 100 yrds at 9x power (very clear scope). I also have a bushnell 4-12x50 scope on my .22-250, and i would pick the nikon over the bushnell any day!!! As far as ammo goes, i use federal power shok 80 grain sp. cheapest i can find, and does the trick. Send me an e-mail if ya wanna go yote huntin this winter, your area or mine. [email protected]

Yes Moly does keep the copper fouling down in the gun bore, but the coating also attracts moisture, which if left in your barrel could cause rusting. You don't need to clean your barrel for copper fouling as much with the moly coat or you can go longer between cleanings. You also lose some velocity too, example: If I load 42.2 grains of Varget behind a 58 gr. Vmax non moly bullet, I will need to add more powder to the moly coated bullet to achieve the same velocity. I concern mysefl more with accuracy than velocity.

I have a couple loads for my 243 that I didn't get sighted in for this year. I did find a good load for 70 gr. nosler ballistic tips. But those are ballistic tipped, not soft or hollow point.

Hope this is helping.............