• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shappell s2000/ Trophy Jr. Fish houses

nmitchell17

I had a Shappell DX3000 house, so hopefully this isn't too far off topic. I thought it was perfect for 2 people with a buddy heater right between us. I thought it was just as nice as the Clams. Bigger than the Clam 2000, but smaller than the 5600. I compared the DX3000 with the S series and the material is much better on the DX series IMHO. Like any suitcase, can be a pain to drag through snow. Make yourself runners for it. I think Shappell sells them too. The bucket holders for when you're dragging it is a nice little add on too. For the price, they are decent houses.

The s2000 is quite small inside. one person w/ heater or two people w/o. Standing is not optional. Its light so you'll want to stay inside on windy days but it is sealed up well so it holds the heat in well.

It is light and pulls easily. The dark color and small size makes it quite warm inside on sunny days. I use mine as a warming hut for tip-uping mainly.

I beg to differ!

My first portable was a Shappell plastic suitcase style from Fleet Farm. It had the style where fisherman sat opposite of them selves in the shack when setup. It had 1’x3’ slots on each side, that would hold two drilled holes in them just fine. They also advertised it could be used for spearing/dark house also.

I would have a chair set up on each side, facing each other. I would put the heater right on the hinge area and it worked great. The heater was a 20lb sun flower. You had to turn it away from the guy sitting next to it, but it worked out in the end. Hundreds of fishing trips in my old Shappell.

It was given to me by my wife back in 95’. This was back when she used to encouraged me to go ice fishing with my brother in-law grin.

A Shappell is a fine starting portable, but you will want more after a couple years.

Mine was purchased when flip over’s where unheard of by the regular guys, because of price and they just came out. I used it for about 5 years until I bought my first Canvas Crafts flips over, which I still own to this day.

You can get your self in to an economical “Wild Series” Otter brand flip over now for the same price as a Shappell and more many years of fun and productive fishing with your fishing buddies and heater wink. Plus get the quality that everyone says is the best wink .

!!!!Click here for a taste of the Wild!!!!!!!!!!!!

The more I think about it, my first portable was a garage/home made, wood floor and wood ends, with canvas in the middle, heavy as all get out, four hole monstrosity from the late eighties/early nineties wink.

We still had fun though!

I had a shappell 2000 also years back as did shackbash. Fished two people and a 20lb. sunflower heater for 3 years. Not much room for extra gear, but plenty for your two guys and electronics. kind of tight, but enough room. Put it this way. There is not any extra space but it is enough. the only reason I got rid of it is because the mice ate it! I then bought a flip over which by then were popular. comfy little shack. I guess I had no complaints with it at all.