• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where'd i hit her?

shot at a doe tonight when it was getting pretty dark. only about 18 yards broadside/ quartering away. deer jumped after being hit then hauled as fast as i've seen a deer run across the bean field. could see the arrow sticking out somewhere in the front half of the deer as she ran. watched her for about 150 yards then ran out of site. very little blood was found out in the field and the arrow never fell out as i watched her. there was no big crack on impact like i would expect if i hit her in the shoulder. only shootin about 50 lbs with a 2 blade broadhead. any ideas where i hit her and if there is still a chance of finding her in the morning? didnt want to push hard tonight

If your broadhead was sharp, it should have cleared the deer unless you hit bone at that range. Are you shooting fixed or expandable broadheads as the expandable may not clear the deer at only 50 pounds.

You could have hit a rib bone but at 18 yards that should not have stopped the arrow. Had to have hit a larger bone to stop the arrow at that range.

I would go out in the morning and try to find something as you are planning. This will probably be a tough one with the deer going that far without much blood and not stopping to bed down. Doesn't sound like she is hit too bad.

Keep looking as one never knows and sometimes gets suprised.

Good luck.

You probably made a good hit but just didn't get a pass through. With the arrow stuck in and no exit hole there wont be much blood but as long as you didnt bump the deer tonight you should be able to find her in the morning.

On a side note- I think the 2 biggest mistakes people make are looking for the deer to early, and not looking long enough. If you don't see the deer fall or are 100% sure on the shot you made and you have an arrow covered in blood, give the deer at least an hour and a half. 2-3 is better. Also, if you lose blood dont stop looking. You shot the deer and you owe it to the animal to look hard. Just because the blood trail stops doesnt mean its a lost deer. Get some buddies and look hard. Cover every lead and cover ground looking for the slightest sign. Many times I have gone out with a friend who lost blood on a deer. They are ready to give up but sure enough we keep looking and find the deer.

Start at the point she was at when you shot, work your way to were you lost sight of her. She may be close to that point.

If you backed out today, she shouldn't be far tomarrow.

Speaking from experience.... Picked bean fields are hard to track in. 2blade heads are good heads, but they tend not to leave great blood trails. They do the job, just make tracking a little difficult.

When in doubt call a friend.

shot at a doe tonight when it was getting pretty dark. only about 18 yards broadside/ quartering away. deer jumped after being hit then hauled as fast as i've seen a deer run across the bean field. could see the arrow sticking out somewhere in the front half of the deer as she ran. watched her for about 150 yards then ran out of site. very little blood was found out in the field and the arrow never fell out as i watched her. there was no big crack on impact like i would expect if i hit her in the shoulder. only shootin about 50 lbs with a 2 blade broadhead. any ideas where i hit her and if there is still a chance of finding her in the morning? didnt want to push hard tonight

So, how did you make out?????

It was tough to tell it was pretty dark. went out at first light the next morning and still found very little blood, and no arrow. I assuming I hit the front shoulder or somewhere that i got very little penitration. no deer was found but im confident that it survived the hit.