• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trimming Dogwoods

lawman

I have three dogwood bushes in my back yard near a patio. They are about 8 feet tall now and getting very woody. I want to trim them way back but I don't know when to do this and how to cut back those real thick branches w/o damaging the bush for next year.

Now is a great time to completely cut them to the ground. The top of the plant is dormant and of its energy is stored in the root system for winter. Do it now until early May. This is something I do frequently with amazing results. (dont do it frequently to the same plant) All thats stored energy from the root system produces huge amounts of new growth extremely fast.

You can knock it completely down to the dirt or if you want to keep some height on it you can trim it back.

Start by removing about 1/3 of the thickest woodiest material at the base. Then with what's left, trim it back to a height you are happy with. It will grow again next year so if you're aiming for a certain height, trim a foot or so below your goal.