• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil Usage 06'Silverado

Been noticing the last few oil changes that I have been running at least a quart low @ 3000 mile intervals on my 5.3. I'm thinking this is out of line for a truck that only has 28,000 miles on it. Anyone have any input?? I don't have any leaks on the garage floor, I don't do alot of heavy towing and I don't rod the heck out of my truck either so I'm at a loss what to do. Thanks in advance!

So if I understand you correctly, according to GM 3 quarts per 3K miles is acceptable?? I don't think you could even get behind that as being acceptable Jer! wink I.M.O. running Mobil 1...I shouldn't have to add any oil at 3000! Maybe I'm out of line expecting this out of a newer pickup. This is the 6th Silverado I have owned and none of them used oil like this one, I think I better get the service dude on the telly in the morning!

O.k. so its 1 quart every 2 thousand miles. Your still in the acceptable limit.

The alternative is a TSB that states if the oil consumption gets to be more than a quart every thousand miles than the valve stems are to be inspected for knicks. If knicks are found than the head needs to be replaced.

TSB 01-06-01-011D issued april 3, 2007. The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200km (2000 mi). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded condition. Oil consumption will be more for vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, higher RPM's, higher speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven in this manner will be more.

Yep, I seen the bulletin! Makes me feel a little better about my situation I guess. I don't know...there's just something sticking in my side about paying $30k+ for a new pickup and having to add oil to the darn thing before regularly schedueled maintenance. So far I've had this truck in the shop twice for quality issues (heater motor at 1K and intermediate steering shaft @ 25K) plus other smaller issues so I'm a little critical about the quality and durability. Maybe I need to relax?? Thanks for the input Jer, I appreciate it!

Happy Birthday NAMASafetyDirector. I agree with you, that you shouldnt need to add oil in 3k, but you did say you were using mobile 1, I would run 2 oil changes with factory oil and retest to see if you are still using oil. 1 qt of oil in 3k isnt to bad. If you think back 20 years ago, adding a qt per 1k was normal! Its well within the factory specs!

Shouldn't and reality are two different thing!

For example (I'm not picking on exclusively Chevy trucks here) you shouldn't have to fix a cooling system that has coolant that is supposed to last for 100,000 miles but you do. You shouldn't have to replace front end parts before the original tires are worn out but you do. You shouldn't have to replace alternators, water pumps, and a/c compressors before the belt is worn out but you do. There are a lot of shouldn'ts in the automotive world. Some are worth fixing and some are not.

At least in your case even if a quart is missing there are still five left in the oil pan! You wouldn't be empty till the 18,000 mile mark.

Quote:
As far as I know a quart every 1000 miles is acceptable for GM's?

No, that’s Fords’ current standards grin. Well, it might be 1qt every 1500 now.

If you are concerned about oil consumption and would like to address the issue, talk with your local dealer about starting an oil consumption test at your next oil change. Even if you are not under the guide lines for oil consumption now, it could very well help you down the road.

Sometimes verification of the oil consumption is needed even for a TSB to be done. If the dollar amount for a repair (warranty dollars) is high enough, prior authorization might be needed from the factory and they will want an oil consumption test done in most cases.

Good luck and happy B-day smile

Talked to the service guy at the dealer this morning and like mentioned before he claims thats "normal". SO I'll just keep her topped off and deal with it unless it gets worse. On the bright side the lease is due in July so I can take it back and do something do something different at that point. Thanks guys! I appreciate the input... Thanks for the Birthday wishes by the way!! NAMA