• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

License for Wheel house?

Trytti

Question

What kind of license due I need for a wheel house to be legal on the highway? Is it the same type of lifetime license I have on my boat trailer or do I need something else? It is a 6.5'X16' and it does not have doors to put a 4 wheeler in it.

I am guessing it is 1500-2000 lbs.

Thanks!

13 answers to this question

Trytti, You might want to visit a "truck scale". I have a 6.5 X16' house with my 40# propane tanks and my other gear, I weigh in at just under 3K#. I do also haul a 4 wheeler so I licensed heavy. (7K-7.5K=$12.50/year, I believe). My license bureau said "If it has the cargo doors, It must be licensed as a 'toy hauler". Now I've heard others here claim "If it has bunks, It must be licensed". Best to talk to YOUR local law enforcement or license Bureau, And try to get in print/writing what they tell you. At least you'll have something to argue your case with grin. Phred52

Thanks for the info! We pretty much kept it wide open inside and light as possible but we will have 2 bunks in it. I had planned on weighing it at my buddy's scrap yard scale just to make sure. Do you know what the cut off weight is?

No, I'm sorry, I don't remember what the specs were. Just don't license too light, if you're stopped and checked, the house STAYS PUT until it's licensed correctly and the fine's been paid. Mine is 'wide open' too. I have a counter in the front for my stove and a small cabinet for the furnace and stuff that needs to stay in the house, other than that, it's open. I use cots for sleeping cause the bunks were too wide for me to get the wheeler far enough foreward so the house trailed well. Phred52

Just thought some of you may have been through this and may have info? Catch 22.One of my houses has a 8 ft wide frame,wheels on the out side so the wheel width is too wide.So I have a couple of questions b-4 I call the dmv or co.

It is not at my house where I have all the tools to fix it.And I can guess close to weight but want it on a scale.The other houses are legal but would like to know the weight of them as well.

How do I transport with out a license?

How do I license with out weight?

If I license by going over board do I need a oversize permit to transport for repair?

Will they even give me a license if the wheels are too wide?

Or do I just buy some live chickens throw them in the house slap a slow moving sign on back and let er buck?

I will be going in on monday to pick up one license for sure and will get some answers to these questions,but just thought some one here may know

This was posted on the Alexandria Area Fishing Reports section. You might want to post something on there too.

fishingalex

Hello I'm New

Loc: Alexandria, MN It's that time of year to start thinking ice!! Yesterday at work, C.O. Mike Shelden stopped by to answer questions and fish houses on wheels was brought up. Starting this year, the Department of Motor Vehicle is going to require a trailer license on all fish houses with wheels that get pulled down the road. If you live on the lake and your just pulling it out onto the ice, with no road travel, then you don't need the trailer license. I guess the rule is the result of the fish house evolution since many styles can carry 4-wheelers inside. I thought I had read in the Outdoor News that tail lights would be required as well but that is not the case for day travel. Just a little FYI.

Meatfish, What is the overall width of your house??? The max you can tow without permit is 8.5' wide. Anything over, requires a 'county by county permit' to be perfectly legal. If your tires are 103" outside to outside, at the disgression of the ticking officer, aka, you'll be in court, As far as the weight goes, your guess won't mean 'sunshine' in court unless you can't document it. In answer to your questions, Transport: I 'sucked the balls up' and took it out to the scale to weigh it. THEN, I had my licensing weight. I'm not sure what you're asking in your 3rd ?. I don't believe they'll license you in a case of overwidth. All I can say for ?#5, Invite the ticketing officer over for some cooked Chicken and a few brews and make a new friend (and MAYBE a little oversite)! BUT... Never as a BRIBE (Minnesota LEOS don't take bribes!!) Phred52

No, I'm sorry, I don't remember what the specs were. Just don't license too light, if you're stopped and checked, the house STAYS PUT until it's licensed correctly and the fine's been paid. Mine is 'wide open' too. I have a counter in the front for my stove and a small cabinet for the furnace and stuff that needs to stay in the house, other than that, it's open. I use cots for sleeping cause the bunks were too wide for me to get the wheeler far enough foreward so the house trailed well. Phred52

Hey Phred, we have conversed some in another similar post. If the house is licenced for over 3000 lbs, does that automatically mean you need trailer brakes? My house has a shipping weight of 2650# on paper. I have looked on the frame and paperwork and cannot find a GVW sticker (although the frame was repainted before I bought it). I found a scale near me, so I will be weighing it soon. I am guessing I need to find the balance of how much I can carry in the house vs. the truck. If I had known I would have so many headaches with licencing this used unit, I may have purchased a new unit! I licenced the house for 3000# because I didn't have brakes. If I can licence heavy and don't have brakes, I'll get it relicensed. Ugh.

Phred. Thanks.One of the houses is well over the max of 8'5 so I know that I will have to repair it.I don't have to transport it that far but with my luck I know that if I tow it with out license

or permit the very first car I see will have flashing lights on top.Like I said I will be going in to get a license for one house as it has to be brought down from up north.And I'll be asking a bunch of questions.I am getting all the printed matter they have on this subject.

Some of my questions will be:

Marker lights?

Trailer license weight ranges?

Trailer brakes?

Temporary transport permits(weigh station)? and $

Temporary transport permits(repair,oversize)? and $

Whats next?Building permits,codes and inspections?

Whats next?Building permits,codes and inspections?

It is getting to that isn't it? Makes me nervous pulling the thing down the road thinking the Asphalt Nazis will be targeting fish houses that are 5 lbs over weight with the portable scales. frown

Glockwinger, That's JUST the way things seem to be going! Meatfish, There's a past posting that I gave a link to lighting requirements for NHTSA. I've moved it TTT. It's "Road legal fish house lights". That should help you some. Phred52